Fustrated and tired. HELP! (Windows 7 Install issues)

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
gbrann

Fustrated and tired. HELP! (Windows 7 Install issues)

Post by gbrann »

Ok.. I have been attempting to install the system for the past two days.

The first time I got it all in, went thru the basic screens in the browser.. then blank screen. I tried to copy the address and paste in IE, no change. I closed the browser, reopened the install and got a error for the Installer = True argument. Checked the .ini.php file it pointed to, it was perfect.. but still had that error. Uninstalled, tried to install the linux version on Ubuntu running on VMWare. The .bin seemed to be corrupt both times I tried to install it. Went back to Windows, tried to reinstall and got a bunch of errors based on the PostgreSQL username / password. (Note, I had uninstalled and rebooted so it should have been cleared). Rinse and repeat.. tried again.. this time the directory magicly changed to C:\Timetrex instead of the system standard of C:\Program Files(x86)\... When I open the installer.. Here's the new error of the evening.
PHP GetText extension is not installed, TimeTrex requires GetText to be installed.

PHP's PEAR package is not installed. TimeTrex requires PEAR to be installed.
On Windows PHP includes a file called go-pear.bat that you can use to install PEAR.

For installation support, please join our community forums or contact a TimeTrex support expert for Implementation Support Services.
Help?! Is this a lost cause? I'm beyond fustrated at this point. Thanks!
gbrann

Re: Fustrated and tired. HELP! (Windows 7 Install issues)

Post by gbrann »

ok...

I'm -still- up trying to fix this issue.. I got the installer to run without any issues until the following screen..

(Within the BitRock installer)
Please wait while Setup installs TimeTrex Standard Edition On-Site on your computer

Installing

Waiting for database to start...
(APROX 50%)
It's been here since... 9pm.. it is now 10:18pm.

I don't understand why I am having so many issues with your installers.. I would put all the details, but I'm using your pre-packaged setup on both the linux distro (which I gave up..) and the Windows 7 distro. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, Retail build, fully updated. The linux was to be Ubuntu 9.10 or Kubuntu 9.10.

I just wanted to stop doing payroll using manual spreadsheets. :| Thanks in advance for any and all help I can get.
gbrann

Post by gbrann »

Well. I got it working. Now I'm happy and loving it. Idea. FIX THE INSTALLER!

I have no idea what I did. I installed, uninstalled, installed again about six times before it finally took. Should never have that issue on software designed for small business. We just don't have time for that. lol But now that its up and working. It is making life so much easier. I was doing my math, paystubs, audits, records, etc.. by manual spreadsheets. Imagine the change!

But that aside, I wish I could post how I found a fix.. but I didn't. The installer simply had a 1 in 10 success ratio. :| Hope this helps -someone- out there having issues..
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

This sounds very strange, I'm not sure why the installer would fail and then start working at some later point. It would be nice to know exactly what happened, but glad to hear you got it working.

I may recommend taking a backup of your existing TimeTrex installation and trying to "upgrade" to the same version, or a newer version when its released to ensure that it happens without problems. If you continue to see errors you may want to hold off adding data to the system until those are figured out. You definitely don't want to get yourself in a position where you can't upgrade to newer versions with confidence.
noamparn

Post by noamparn »

That sounds a lot like what I experienced several times when upgrading from version2 through the V3 release clients, and then to the latest versions.
What I found was that the installer didn't correctly restart the database service if there was a prior installation, and if the services weren't running prior to the latest install attempt. I had been stopping the services, and backing up the entire folder before starting the install. Once I got in the habit of rebooting AFTER doing my backup (so that the services were all running again), I had fewer problems.
I did have trouble, however, with the install not creating the services correctly on Windows 7 (professional 64-bit). I was able to manually run the batch file for that.

You might want to keep an eye on it when the next version comes out, and see how that install goes.
I recommend that you stop the services and make a backup copy of the entire c:\timetrex folder before starting. Of course, reboot after you back up, to make sure everything is up and running before starting the install.
If something goes wrong, you can simply stop the services, copy the backed-up folder back to c:\timetrex, and then restart the services. That should put you right back where you started.

--Noam