install problem on FC 5

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
vraptor

install problem on FC 5

Post by vraptor »

I have been testing TimeTrex on Fedora Core 4 where it seems to work fine, I tried an install on FC 5 (dev box) using php 5.1.4 mysql 5.0.22 and ran into a strange problem: during the install the install screen reported no writable permissions on /var/timetrex/storage and would not proceed with the install. Directories have wide open permissions (777) owned by apache (and I could write to them as any user. I double checked by changing the timetrex.ini.php to use /var/time/storage again opened permissions reran the installer and still could not get beyond the no write permissions on the storage directories. Just wanted to report this on FC5. FC6 is still in testing and should be released this month, once it becomes stable I will also try it and let you know how that works out
bob
mikeb

Re: install problem on FC 5

Post by mikeb »

vraptor wrote:I have been testing TimeTrex on Fedora Core 4 where it seems to work fine, I tried an install on FC 5 (dev box) using php 5.1.4 mysql 5.0.22 and ran into a strange problem: during the install the install screen reported no writable permissions on /var/timetrex/storage and would not proceed with the install. Directories have wide open permissions (777) owned by apache (and I could write to them as any user. I double checked by changing the timetrex.ini.php to use /var/time/storage again opened permissions reran the installer and still could not get beyond the no write permissions on the storage directories. Just wanted to report this on FC5. FC6 is still in testing and should be released this month, once it becomes stable I will also try it and let you know how that works out
bob
Is it only the storage directory that has this issue? What about the log directory, cache directory, and timetrex.ini.php file? As a test, try setting it to /tmp instead of /var/timetrex/storage and see if that works or not.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
vraptor

install problem on FC 5

Post by vraptor »

Mike
first there were no other complaints from the installer on other directories, I did try using the /tmp directory and that did take care of the problem. Still not sure why FC 5 would be more restrictive than FC 4, I checked permissions and ownerships on / both systems "appear" the same. The problem might be with the implementation of SElinux (security-enhanced linux) which I have not fully explored yet. thats why I test, test and retest. Thanks for the solution
bob
mikeb

Re: install problem on FC 5

Post by mikeb »

vraptor wrote:Mike
first there were no other complaints from the installer on other directories, I did try using the /tmp directory and that did take care of the problem. Still not sure why FC 5 would be more restrictive than FC 4, I checked permissions and ownerships on / both systems "appear" the same. The problem might be with the implementation of SElinux (security-enhanced linux) which I have not fully explored yet. thats why I test, test and retest. Thanks for the solution
bob
Yeah, definitely sounds like a directory permission issue somewhere along the line. At this point the storage directory is mainly used in the professional edition, so leaving it set to /tmp in the standard edition should be fine. This of course may change in the future, so you definitely want to get things corrected.

Enjoy.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!