Error: launch_timetrex_login.app not writeable

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
jmccorison

Error: launch_timetrex_login.app not writeable

Post by jmccorison »

I am trying to install the update for 7.3.4. The System Check Acceptance is giving me the error:

Not writable: /Applications/TimeTrex/timetrex/classes/modules/install/../../../launch_timetrex_login.app/launch_timetrex_login.app

Run via automatic install

I have verified that the persmission should allow the directory (the .app) to be writeable. I even made it writeable by everybody such to make sure.

The install process will not allow me to proceed beyond this. Any suggestions? Thanks.
shaunw

Re: Error: launch_timetrex_login.app not writeable

Post by shaunw »

I don't think that file should be in the directory that is specified. It almost appears that you maybe tried to install TimeTrex inside its own directory perhaps, so now you have two instances nested inside each other.

What is the output of the following command:
ls -lR /Applications/TimeTrex/timetrex/
jmccorison

Post by jmccorison »

Exactly. The link is a self referencial link Within the launch app is a link to the launch app:

Code: Select all

sfm-home:launch_timetrex_login.app jimmccorison$ ls -l /Applications/TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login.app
total 8
drwxrwxr-x  6 jimmccorison  admin  204 Mar 31 10:59 Contents
lrwxr-xr-x  1 jimmccorison  admin   57 Mar 31 11:00 launch_timetrex_login.app -> /Applications/TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login.app
The results of the recursive directory listing you requested is 300k+ characters, well beyond the 60k limit allowed for posting. Is there a refined version you would prefer?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Please attach it as a .txt file.
jmccorison

Post by jmccorison »

Ahh, good idea. Here it is.
Attachments
Applications_TimeTrex_timetrex.txt
Results of
ls -lR /Applications/TimeTrex/timetrex/
(310.93 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

So /Applications/TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login.app is actually a directory, and the files inside it aren't writable by everyone... Have you tried running:

chmod -R 777 /Applications/TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login.app/*
jmccorison

Post by jmccorison »

This in on a Mac OS X system. The .app is a directory which contains all the files necesary for an application to run. I've verified that the directory itself is world writeable, but I'd be hesitant to set all files with the app to 777.

Might one approach be to delete the entire app off the system and reinstall as if it were a new install? If so, what file(s) would I need to backup so that I can restore the configuration and databases after the installation?

Thanks.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I wouldn't recommend that approach.

Keep in mind the directory I referred to is inside the TimeTrex application directory itself and specifically should only apply to the icon for launching the TimeTrex Login screen, not the entire TimeTrex application.
jmccorison

Post by jmccorison »

Doh! Sorry, it's been a long day of juggling bowling balls. I spaced in the launch app Vs the entire app.

Sadly the chmod didn't resolve anything. I keep wondering why the app has a symbolic link back to itself within the app directory itself. It is in the form of /A/B/C->/A/B, where B is the .app.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I'm not exactly sure, it does seem strange to me.
jmccorison

Post by jmccorison »

Shaun, Any other thoughts other than wiping out the install completely and starting over?

Are there any other Mac OS X folks that have installed 7.3.4 successfully and have it running?

Thanks.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You could try moving to deleting the file that is not writable, its just an icon to launch the login page of TimeTrex which could be done with a bookmark instead.
jmccorison

Post by jmccorison »

Well that certainly was an easy solution. I nuked the goofy symbolic link, which was writeable btw, and it finished the install just fine.

Thank you for your help with this. It is greatly appreciated.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I had the same exact problem. Per your instructions removing the symbolic link (aka alias in Mac-speak) at:

TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login/launch_timetrex_login

did the trick.

In case other readers don't know how to access the files in TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login, right click on launch_timetrex_login and then select "Show Package Contents" from the resulting menu.

Make sure NOT to remove TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login

You want to remove the alias named "launch_timetrex_login" that is INSIDE the TimeTrex/timetrex/launch_timetrex_login package.