Upgrade from 8 to 9 - currently undergoing maintenance

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
sjcarlow

Upgrade from 8 to 9 - currently undergoing maintenance

Post by sjcarlow »

I've been using TimeTrex Community Edition On-Site for about 2 years now on a personal server for one employee. Last November I tried to log into TimeTrex and suddenly found numerous errors and was unable to login. It appeared at the time that it had auto-upgraded from 8 to 9 and something failed. I tried reinstalling 9.0.2 over the auto-upgraded v9 install, tried uninstalling everything and installing 9.0.2 fresh (and restoring backup database), etc. Each time v9 would stop me at an "undergoing maintenance" screen after I logged in to the new version. My entire TimeTrex installation folder ballooned from about 400-500MB to over 9GB, all in the log folder. As such, I couldn't read the log file because it was too large to open. My only success was to wipe everything and install 8.0.8 fresh and restoring a backup of my db. I went in circles and was never able to get version 9.0.2 to work, so reverted back to 8.0.8 and things worked just fine for me.

I managed to disable an auto upgrade flag and never had another problem. Now that 2015 is complete and I was able to provide a W-2 to my employee, I felt it time to upgrade again to version 9. I've had a header in TimeTrex occasionally reminding me to upgrade as well, so I clicked the link and downloaded the auto installer for 9.0.7 this time.

I'm using a Windows Server 2012 R2 system. Backed up my entire TimeTrex folder and launched the installation. It identified itself as an upgrade the install succeeded. It then launched the browser and worked through upgrading the database (67 steps). It hung two steps from the end for a long time so I started monitoring the log folder in C:\Timetrex. I watched it grow larger and larger. Decided to leave the install overnight. This morning, the web portal upgrade screen showed a message "Error: Operation could not be completed" and my only option was to click the red X to cancel the upgrade screen. I then tried to log back into TimeTrex and met the same "TimeTrex is currently undergoing maintenance" screen. My timetrex.log file is now 3.6GB and I can't open it.

After searching this forum, the only "undergoing maintenance" advice I could find was nearly 9 years old related to changing verbosity on the DatabaseConfig.php file and re-running the installer. The install completed again and took me through the same process, resulting in an identical experience as above, only now my log file is 7.5GB in size.

Any help is appreciated. When this initially occurred I decided to try the free online hosted version of TimeTrex but discovered I couldn't really import my data from the on-site version. I really would like to not lose historic data for my employee but I'm pulling my hair out over these upgrade problems.

Thanks,

-Steve
-Steve
shaunw

Re: Upgrade from 8 to 9 - currently undergoing maintenance

Post by shaunw »

Delete your log file, then try re-running the web browser installer, keep an eye on the log file, and once it passes about 100mb, make a copy of the file (so it doesn't grow any larger), zip it, and email it to support@timetrex.com with a reference to this forum post.

You can kill the Apache/PHP process that is causing the log file to continue to grow after that... It sounds like its getting stuck in some infinite loop for some reason.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The issue is caused by a duplicate record in one of your tables that is preventing a index from being created.

If you run the following query directly from your PostgreSQL server console, that should resolve the issue and allow the upgrade to proceed normally again:

Code: Select all

DELETE FROM recurring_schedule_user a WHERE a.ctid <> (SELECT min(b.ctid) FROM recurring_schedule_user b WHERE  a.id = b.id);
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Alternatively you can just try upgrading to TimeTrex v9.0.8 as it should work around the above mentioned issue.
sjcarlow

Post by sjcarlow »

Downloaded 9.0.8 and installation succeeded with database upgrade taking a very short amount of time this round. All my data was recovered that I can tell so far and was able to run payroll on time. Thank you for the support - really appreciated.
-Steve