Update to 8.0.6 stalled at Database Configuration step

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
mablower

Update to 8.0.6 stalled at Database Configuration step

Post by mablower »

Backed up database, then run update "TimeTrex_Community_Edition_v8.0.6-windows-installer", completed and started the process of reconfiguring TimeTrex.

At the Database Configuration step I keep getting an error for both the timetrex and the postgres passwords.

Connection test to your database as a non-privileged user has FAILED! Please correct them and try again.
Connection test to your database as a privileged user has FAILED! Please correct the user name/password and try again.

select 1 from pg_authid where rolname='postgres' and rolpassword='md5||md5('XXXXX'||rolname);
select 1 from pg_authid where rolname='timetrex' and rolpassword='md5||md5('XXXXX'||rolname);

both of the above sql statements, return the proper user/role record.

Whats stopping me ?
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
mablower

Re: Update to 8.0.6 stalled at Database Configuration step

Post by mablower »

Able to log into postgres with psql.exe timetrex timetrex

Followed by password.

Unable to do the same for the postgres user / pass
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I don't understand what is is you are trying to do, are you wanting to start with a fresh database, or restore from a backup database?
mablower

Post by mablower »

I was hoping just to update with our restore, but can't seem to get pass the password issue.

if I leave the postgres password blank that warning goes away.

I can test the timetrex user/pass and it works at the command line.

The postgress pass does not work at the command line but I can confirm it with an sql query. And i've done the change password, in the pgAdmin III application. Changed the password restarted server, used it in pgAdmin to get in and then changed it back again successfully.

But the Database Configuration step does not want to recognize the password.
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Did you try not specifying a privileged username/password at all? That is normally only required in very special circumstances during a fresh install.
mablower

Post by mablower »

That works but its still complaining about the timetrex user password.

I've change that Password, confirmed it works a command line and in sql statements.

Not sure what's holding me up.
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Unfortunately I'm still confused as to what you are actually trying to achieve here? Are you trying to upgrade from an old versions of TimeTrex? Please explain in more detail what your overall goal is, there should never be a need to mess around with usernames/passwords when using the automated windows installer.
mablower

Post by mablower »

I am attempting to upgrade from a previous version. As I begin the process of setting it up for use at our company. I have all of the employee, payperiods, schedules, holiday etc entered.

At log in with Admin user I was getting message that I needed to upgrade, that automatic updates failed.

So I downloaded the latest version, something I've done in the past. And began upgrade from 8.0.5 to 8.0.6.

Everything went fine until I attempted to restart TimeTrex, as I progressed through starting after updateing, I got stuck at the Database Connection step. With TimeTrex not recognizing the already established passwords for timetrex and postgres user.

Currently only the timetrex user is getting flagged as a problem. You suggestion that the postgres user does not need one is correct.

Currently without asking me to login as I start TimeTrex (http://192.168.1.206:8085/) I get Install wizard, License Acceptance page followed by System Check Acceptance (TimeTrex Version OK v8.0.6, PHP Version OK v5.3.25), followed by Database Configuration were when I press Test Connection Button, I get the error: Connection test to your database as a non-privileged user has FAILED! Please correct them and try again
Attachments
Image of error on Database Configuration page
Image of error on Database Configuration page
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Not sure what happened, but during a normal upgrade you should never be asked for a password. Since you are being asked for one, its likely something major happened to corrupt/confuse your TimeTrex install, or at least your database credentials.

If you can't figure out your database passwords, you may need to uninstall TimeTrex completely and re-install a fresh copy of TimeTrex to start again. If you have a lot of data in the database already, you may want to consider purchasing an extended support package to have one of our support reps connect to your server and see if they can salvage any of your data.
mablower

Post by mablower »

I believe I've munged the password by updating the password with an alt role command in pg_admin.exe.

TimeTrex is salting its passwords.

So question is how to reset the passwords using the salt md5 format that TimeTrex uses?
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex has no control over the database password hashing mechanism. You should try using the proper PostgreSQL tools to change PostgreSQL users passwords instead.
mablower

Post by mablower »

I used

alter user timetrex ENCRYPTED password 'mypassword'

I ran

Select * from pg_authid where rolename='timetrex' and rolpassword='md5'||md5('mypassword'||rolname);

It returned the TimeTrex user record successfully.

Are my postgres sql statement incorrect ?
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

It seems correct. Does the backup_database.bat file in the TimeTrex directory run without errors?
mablower

Post by mablower »

runs with no errors but resulting file is empty.
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
mablower

Post by mablower »

I've done a backup of the TimeTrex database in pgAdmin III which has resulted in an export with sql statements for restoring the timetrex data.

Looks good as far as I can tell.
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You could try following this FAQ to do a fresh install and restore from your SQL dump file, just treat the source and destination computer as the same.
http://help.timetrex.com/Frequently_Ask ... another.3F
mablower

Post by mablower »

Ya, I already uninstalled and started the re-install process.

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate you willingness to help out.
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com
mablower

Post by mablower »

post update, I'm still unable to get past the database configuration step of the 8.0.6 update.

TimeTrex version 8.0.6 from 8.0.4
PHP v5.3.25

I'm able to confirm my previlaged user postgres, timetrex and sadmin with postgres at command line. So I know these usernames and passwords function just as before update.

I'm unable to confirm my non-previlaged user name passwords after update. I'm assuming that the non-previlaged users are the logins that you use when connecting to TimeTrex from webpage. I can see the "admin" user from pgAdmin3.exe sql command that dumps the user. All of my previous users are still in the database.

Turned on debug and got this.

Warning: pg_connect() [function.pg-connect]: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5433? could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5433? in C:\TimeTrex\timetrex\classes\adodb\drivers\adodb-postgres64.inc.php on line 697
{"api_retval":{"type":"postgres8","host":"localhost:5433","database_name":"timetrex","user":"admin","password":"xxxxxxxxx","priv_user":"postgres","priv_password":"","final_type":"postgres8","final_host":"localhost:5433","test_connection":false,"test_priv_connection":true,"database_engine":true,"type_options":{"postgres8":"PostgreSQL v8+","enterprisedb":"EnterpriseDB (DISABLE edb_redwood_date)"},"application_name":"TimeTrex-Debug"},"api_details":{"code":false,"description":false,"record_details":{"total":0,"valid":0,"invalid":0},"user_generic_status_batch_id":false,"request":false,"pager":false,"details":false}}
ErrorClose
Michael Blower
Dripworks, Inc.
it@dripworks.com