Prevent Employees From Punching Before Lunch Ends

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
wilito92

Prevent Employees From Punching Before Lunch Ends

Post by wilito92 »

Hi,

I have searched around the forum, administrator guide, and a few other links looking for an answer to my question. I am wanting employees to take the "full hour" of lunch break. If the meal policy states that the "Meal Time" is set to 1:00 hour. If they try to punch back in to the system before that 1:00 hour time, have the system disallow the punch until the "full hour" of lunch is completed.

Example: If a Meal Policy is set the following way:

Type: Normal
Active After: 03:00
Meal Time: 1:00
Auto-Detect: Time Windows
Start Window: 03:00
Window Length: 2:00

If the employee punches in at 9:00AM. The employee is obligated to take lunch after the third hour and before the fifth hour of working consecutively (This is to avoid Overtime pay). They punch out at 12:30 for Lunch. If they try to punch back in from lunch at 1:15 pm, I'd like Time Trex to notify the employee that they can't punch back in until they meet their "full hour" of lunch. They must punch back in at 1:30 or later.

Is this possible to achieve? We are trying to avoid overtime pay. However... I am not wanting to to use the Auto-Deduct feature because I'm "taking off" time from their timesheet when they actually worked it. If they punch back in 8 minutes before their meal time ends, then they worked an extra 8 minutes during the day which at the end of the week ends in a lot of minutes of overtime pay for all employees. However... in means to avoid any discussions or attitude from our employees, we would just want the system to deny their punch until they have met their one hour break.

Please orientate me on how to achieve this.

Thanks,

W. Maldonado
shaunw

Re: Prevent Employees From Punching Before Lunch Ends

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex will never prevent an employee from punching in/out. Instead it can be setup to round punches or use other policies like auto-deduct meal/break or premium policies to handle specific cases.

In most jurisdictions preventing an employee from punching in/out does not let the employer off the hook from paying them, and it often causes more problems then it attempts to solve, because employees have a tendency to not pay attention to what they are doing, so they don't see the "punch denied" error message and just go back to work anyways, resulting in the worst case scenario, a missed punch.