Permission Groups

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
lturner

Permission Groups

Post by lturner »

I am looking to add a permission group for a set of our managers. I would like for them to be able to view their employees' timesheets in which they are over. However, I do not want them to have permission to authorize their requests, timesheets, etc, only view the timesheets. I only want them to be able to SEE their department and not the entire company's timesheets.
Any suggestions? I have tried over and over and i cannot seem to get it work where they can view only their departments.
Thanks.
shaunw

Re: Permission Groups

Post by shaunw »

I recommend that you start by assigning the managers to the Supervisor (Subordinates) permission group, then setup hierarchies to define the superior/subordinate relationships for each manager. You can then login as each manager to confirm that they can only see their subordinates, and once that checks out you can modify the permission group to remove permissions that you don't want them to have.

The key to remember is that the hierarchies must work in tandem with the permission groups.
lturner

Post by lturner »

Ok, I will try that. Thank you.
lturner

Post by lturner »

I have tried your suggestion but cannot get it to work. My problem is that i do not want them to be in a heirarchy. They do not need to h have permission at all to authorize any requests or timesheets. I only want them to be able to view timesheets of the employees in which they supervise. The HR Manager deals with all leave and timesheets authorization. I only want them to be able to VIEW only not authorize. Is there a way to do this? I appreciate your help.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Only assign the "Permission" object to their hierarchies, then you will need to create a new Permission Group to further restrict what permissions they have or don't have. By default supervisors have access to edit employees timesheets/schedules, so you will need to remove those permissions.
lturner

Post by lturner »

I have gotten it to work! Thanks for the help! :)