Getting LDAP Working?

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
shelzmike

Getting LDAP Working?

Post by shelzmike »

Perhaps I will be unable to get support here as I am specifically referencing the Standard On Demand edition. Trying to sell the owner on moving our P&T management over to TimeTrex; however, I am trying to justify the costs to use it for our 6 person company. Anyhow, that is why I am using the Standard On Demand edition - to get him familiar and show all the different things even the standard version can do.

Anyhow, if I can get help here, I cannot seem to figure out how to get the LDAP working. There is not much documentation on the subject and I am familiar with LDAP and am pretty sure that I have it setup properly and saved. However, once I input the settings, I do not know what to do next. In other words, how exactly does TT use LDAP? Does it import the users? How are the users supposed to login if I have a upn bind etc? Thanks in advance for the help. While with 6 people on the system currently it certainly isn't terrible to set them all up manually; however, SSO is important as well as being able to prove that TT can expand and stay integrated easily. THanks.

Mike
shaunw

Re: Getting LDAP Working?

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex simply does password authentication over LDAP, it does not import any data from LDAP whatsoever. If you are using the On-Demand Standard Edition you must make sure that your LDAP server accepts connections from the internet and you should also have a static IP address on your internet connection otherwise you could lock yourself out of TimeTrex.
shelzmike

Post by shelzmike »

Understood and our network meets all those requirements. So then the only question I have is how exactly the users are setup and how do they log in? Should their usernames be the same as in AD and when they log in do they only need to provide their UPN and their AD password? Thanks!

On another note and perhaps it has already been mentioned...I really like the TT platform already, but tighter AD integration via LDAP would be fantastic. I can say this since they are not even in the same industry, but a good paradigm is how Barracuda Hosted SPAM firewall. They have really great LDAP integration.

Thanks again!

Mike
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Each employee needs to be created in TimeTrex first of course, then given their username/password and your LDAP settings TimeTrex tries to confirm authentication. The settings themselves all depend on how your LDAP/AD is setup of course, there are several topics on this forum that discuss different setups if you search for LDAP.