Exception False Flags / Exceptions Don't Reset

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
mparker

Exception False Flags / Exceptions Don't Reset

Post by mparker »

Hi,

I recently deployed TimeTrex Community On-Site Edition for my company, and for the most part it's been working flawlessly. However this pay period I have an employee with a strange bug, where 1 employee has exceptions M2 (Missing Out Punch) & S8 (Under Daily Scheduled Time) flagged for one day that looks identical to every other day in the pay cycle. He's tried repeatedly deleting and re-creating the time punches (with manual entry permissions set) but even if there are no time entries for this particular day, M2 & S8 continue to flag. I've tried removing him from the schedule to clear S8, deleting and re-entering the time entries as an admin, and even disabling the exception policies altogether while doing "ReCalculate Time Sheet" after each step. No matter waht I do, M2 & S8 exceptions remain persistent and because of this, the employee is not able to Verify his time card due to having a Critical Exception flagged.

Any help is much appreciated! I'm running Community version 9.0.6.

Michael
shaunw

Re: Exception False Flags / Exceptions Don't Reset

Post by shaunw »

Can you please attach a full uncropped screenshot of the timesheet in question?
mparker

Post by mparker »

shaunw wrote:Can you please attach a full uncropped screenshot of the timesheet in question?
sure, I'm attaching 2 screenshots of 2 different employee timecards. Both have the same issue on the same day, Jan 11, where not only do they have bogus exceptions flagged but it also didn't add their hours worked to their "Regular Time" total. Because we had to proceed with payroll I manually credited the hours worked on the first time card shown (hence the red *08:00 credited). Note the summary at the bottom still did not include those 8 hours in the total time. The 2nd example shows another employees time card with a bogus exception S4 "In Late" flagged for the employee, even though his start time was the same every other day in the week with no exception flagged. Coincidentally that time card also didn't credit the hours worked in the total at the bottom..... hmm.

Thanks for your help,
Michael
Attachments
timesheet example 2
timesheet example 2
timesheet example 1
timesheet example 1
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Manually adjust the time through the "Accumulated Time" screen is not recommended, because you are overriding the policies and its extremely easy to cause many more problems than you are trying to solve.

Regarding the first screenshot, it doesn't appear that the punches were manually edited at all? Have you tried recalculating or re-saving either of those punches to see if it makes a difference? If not, we would also need to see screenshots of the Edit Punch view for both punches on that day, as well as a screenshot of your Regular Time policies.
mparker

Post by mparker »

shaunw wrote:Manually adjust the time through the "Accumulated Time" screen is not recommended, because you are overriding the policies and its extremely easy to cause many more problems than you are trying to solve.

Regarding the first screenshot, it doesn't appear that the punches were manually edited at all? Have you tried recalculating or re-saving either of those punches to see if it makes a difference? If not, we would also need to see screenshots of the Edit Punch view for both punches on that day, as well as a screenshot of your Regular Time policies.

Correct, in the 1st time card screenshot in my prior post the admin had not manually modified the time entries. However all of my employees are in the "Manual Entry" permission group, and the employee did repeatedly try to edit/modify/delete/recreate these punches and no matter what we do the hours worked aren't added to the regular time billed for this particular day (Jan 11). Since my last post I found at least 3 more employees have the same issue with their punches on Jan 11, but time cards for 20+ other employees in my company are OK. Coincidentally all of the affected employee time cards are in a different time zone than where my TimeTrex site is hosted, in case that's relevant. Only some, but not all, of the employees in East Coast time zone have this same issue on the same Jan 11 date.

I did try recalculating the time sheets, and only tried editing the Accumulated Time manually as a last resort for 1 employee. I even tried completely disabling the exception policy and recalculating the time sheet, and the employees who have bogus exceptions flagged on Jan 11 continued to show those exceptions no matter what I've tried so far. We went ahead and processed payroll already despite this bug and are crossing our fingers it doesn't reoccur! Attaching the screenshots you requested, if there's any other details I can provide to help understand the issue please let me know.

Thanks for your help!
Michael
Attachments
Regular Time Policy Screenshot
Regular Time Policy Screenshot
Edit Punch Screenshot
Edit Punch Screenshot
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

What you edit the previous pay period and set its status to Post Adjustment, are you able to recalculate the pay period that is having problems then, does it make any difference?

What operating system and database are do you have TimeTrex installed on?
mparker

Post by mparker »

shaunw wrote:What you edit the previous pay period and set its status to Post Adjustment, are you able to recalculate the pay period that is having problems then, does it make any difference?

We're not using TimeTrex to process payroll or generate paystubs and so I haven't yet closed the pay period to do post-adjustments. I can still edit the past time cards though, and so far nothing I've tried is resolving the issue with these couple of time cards. We're running the server on Linux (Debian version 8.1 ) with MySQL database.

Thanks
Michael
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

mparker wrote:
shaunw wrote:What you edit the previous pay period and set its status to Post Adjustment, are you able to recalculate the pay period that is having problems then, does it make any difference?

We're not using TimeTrex to process payroll or generate paystubs and so I haven't yet closed the pay period to do post-adjustments. I can still edit the past time cards though, and so far nothing I've tried is resolving the issue with these couple of time cards. We're running the server on Linux (Debian version 8.1 ) with MySQL database.
My guess is its likely related to running MySQL in a multi-timezone environment, which is highly not recommended due to MySQL's lack of any real timezone support.

At this stage I would recommend looking into purchasing a support package to have one of our developers investigate it further, it could be many things, including a corrupt database.