Notes within punch records instead of punch_control

Use this forum to discuss desired new features for TimeTrex
quepasa

Notes within punch records instead of punch_control

Post by quepasa »

It would help us if notes for punching in/out were associated with the individual punches instead of the punch_control. At the moment if a user forgets to punch in, and the supervisor adds a punch with a note saying "Had to add Punch-in for Roger -john", that note gets overwritten when the user writes a not for their out punch, like "Out to get supplies".

Thanks,
-Ben
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

This is actually by design, with the idea being that when an employee punches in, they can write a partial note, then when they punch out they can finish the note without having the re-write the entire thing. ie:

Punch In Note:
Starting maintenance on vehicle #1323

Punch Out Note:
Starting maintenance on vehicle #1323 - Replaced front brake pads, and changed oil. Will need rear brakes replaced in one month. Got pulled away on emergency for vehicle #1389.

This is quite common in job costing scenarios.

In your case, the employee should have actually saw the note that the supervisor entered, and then had the choice of removing it and adding their own note, or simply appending on to it.

Another way to avoid this issue is to simply wait longer for supervisors to enter employee's missed punches. If an employee is missing an in punch, they can still punch out without a problem, so its not necessary to manually punch them in right away.
quepasa

Post by quepasa »

Ok, I see. I guess we are using this differently. For starters I am allowing everyone to view the Who's In Report. For us, it is very important for everyone to quickly check who's here. The notes serve the function of letting everyone know where we are if we are "out" during core hours. Secondly, the note is used in future reports to tell us why a particular in-punch was done manually or had to be changed.

This isn't vital to us, so I would understand if you decide other things are more important. However, I think you can satisfy our scenario and your scenario by having a button (or preference) that copies the previous punch's note to the current punch.

-Ben