Form 941 in V5.2.4 + new UI - I can't get any output.....

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
samhouston1111

Form 941 in V5.2.4 + new UI - I can't get any output.....

Post by samhouston1111 »

My system setup: Windows 7, 64 bit, i7 CPU, 8GB.
TimeTrex setup: Local
Product Edition: Standard
Version:5.2.4
Tax Engine Version:1.0.21
Tax Data Version: 20130104
Maintenance Jobs Last Ran: 03-Feb-13 11:14 PM
Schema Version
Group A: 1055A
Group T: 1021T
Installed by automated executable installer

Despite trying various combinations of parameters, I cannot get any meaningful output for Form 941 using the new UI in version 5.2.4; I always get a report with "NO DATA MATCHES CRITERIA" as the only output.

With the previous UI in V5.2.4, I can quickly generate output: a Form 941 that looks ready for submission to IRS. I've tried to translate the process I use in the old UI that produces results....to the new UI...without success.

Is there any guidance available on how to use the new Form 941?

Thank you.
shaunw

Re: Form 941 in V5.2.4 + new UI - I can't get any output...

Post by shaunw »

Can you post a screenshot of the Report screen prior to viewing the report so we can see what criteria you have defined?
samhouston1111

Post by samhouston1111 »

Thanks for your help!
Report Template.png
The drop-down list boxes fold up...don't show the fields selected when I try to screen-shoot them.

So I add commentary to try to explain what I've done:

On the Report-Template dialog:

Report - Template: nothing is selected because none of the choices (Month / Employee / Branch / Department / BranchDepartment / etc.) seem inappropriate for a Form 941 which spans the entire company
Report - Time Period: Last Quarter - selected because Form 941 reports the preceding quarter's taxes
Report - Display Column: nothing is selected because none of the choices seem inappropriate for a Form 941 which is a summmary of the company's payroll taxes.

Report - Setup.png
Setup - Fields: nothing is selected because none of the choices seem inappropriate for a Form 941.
Report - Form Setup.png
Form Setup - Schedule Depositor: "Monthly" is selected, though it doesn't seem appropriate; "Semi-weekly", the other choice seems equally inappropriate

Form Setup - Wages, tips and other compensation (Line 2): Regular Time, Overtime1, Overtime2, Bonus are included

Form Setup - Income Tax (Line 3): Federal Income Tax is included

Form Setup - Taxable Social Security Wages (Line 5a): Regular Time, Overtime1, Overtime2, Bonus are included

Form Setup - Taxable Medicare Wages (Line 5c): Regular Time, Overtime1, Overtime2, Bonus are included

After making these selections, I click Report-View...and then get the message: "NO DATA MATCHES CRITERIA"

Thanks for your help!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Try selecting the first Template in the list and don't change any other settings, then view the report or the form.
samhouston1111

Post by samhouston1111 »

Shaun - I tried that....same result: "No Data Matches Criteria".

In following trials, I tried all the other Template choice also...same result.

I've tried numerous permutations...all with same result.

So...no success so far.

Thanks.

--sam--
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If you go to Payroll -> Pay Stubs, how many pay stubs do you have in TimeTrex?
samhouston1111

Post by samhouston1111 »

Shaun, 224 paystubs are listed.
I then searched for only 2012 paystubs and 147 are found for 2012.
A quick click-thru....and they look about right...the right # for the expected employees.

What should I look for next?

Thanks for your help!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If you go to the Pay Stub Summary report, and use the "Last Year" time period, does it return any results?

Is your TimeTrex installation accessible remotely by chance? If so, email the URL/Username/password to support@timetrex.com
samhouston1111

Post by samhouston1111 »

Shaun, I think I've figured out the first problem.
Your suggestion to look at Pay Stub Summary reports was instrumental.
Running the Pay Stub Summary report for Last Year delivered results that at first glance looked roughly correct.
Running the Pay Stub Summary report for "Last Quarter" delivered no results!
Then I noticed, on this report, the Time Period for "Last Quarter" = 01-Oct-2013 to 31-Dec-2013!
"Last Quarter" is the last quarter of this year....since that hasn't happened yet...no results!
The choice of "4th Quarter (Last Year)" does produce 1st-glance-reasonable results.
The menu item "Last Quarter" might be renamed "Last Quarter - this year" to reduce confusion by dummies like me. In businesses I've worked, "last quarter" refers to the quarter just passed...not to a future quarter which is yet to happen. Anyway....

Armed with that knowledge I returned to the Form 941 report.
Selecting Template = by Month, TimePeriod = 4th Quarter (Last Year), Display Columns = 47 Items selected, Group by = Date - Month, Sort By = Date-Month|ASC ......produces output!

Yay!

But....it produces a report titled Form 941 Report...not a Form 941 like the last version of Timetrex did.
This Form 941 report is a tabular report showing monthly (Oct, Nov, Dec) Income Tax, Taxable SSN wages, Taxable Medicare wages. Trying other combinations of Template values and Display Columns an d Group by and Sort by...all produce valid looking reports...but I couldn't find a Form 941 report output.

Is the Form 941 still part of the new TimeTrex version?
If so, now that I know to select "4th Quarter (Last Year)" as the time period, how do I generate the Form 941 print-out.

Thank you very much for your help.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If you are still using v5.2.4 try upgrading to the latest version, the Last Quarter should be exactly what you expected and its working for me (showing dates from 2012).

As for seeing the actual 941 Form, you will notice there are two "View" icons in the menu along the top, one on the far left in the "Reoprt" group, which is the one you are clicking, but there is a 2nd one in the "Form" menu group, to the left of "Print", this views the form itself.
samhouston1111

Post by samhouston1111 »

> Shaun: As for seeing the actual 941 Form.....use the "Form" menu group, to the left of "Print"

Yep! that worked! You know what you are doing!

> Shaun: If you are still using v5.2.4 try upgrading to the latest version, the Last Quarter should be exactly what you expected and its working for me (showing dates from 2012).

Thanks!

After I do these taxes to prevent the gendarmerie from pursuing me, I'll upgrade.

Thanks for your excellent support!!!!!!!!!