help creating /var/log/timetrex on shared hosting

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
Becca

help creating /var/log/timetrex on shared hosting

Post by Becca »

Where or how do I create these directories if I'm on shared hosting?
/var/log/timetrex
/var/timetrex
/tmp/timetrex/storage

I've tried putting them several places with 777 permissions and I can't get rid of the "opendir(/tmp/timetrex/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory" errors

Can I change the timetrex.ini.php5 settings to make it work?

In FTP I seem to only have access to the HTML folder. (I'm on Godaddy if that helps anyone.) I can use Terminal to use ftp comands, but I only have access to the HTML folder that way too.

Thanks
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You can change the directories to anything you want. They shouldn't be inside your HTML directory though because that might give people access to read them directly. You should be able to put them just outside your HTML directory however.
Becca

point me the right direction?

Post by Becca »

Yes. Thanks. I figured they need to be outside my html directory.

I'll go somewhere else to ask my question then . Unless anyone else can point me in the right direction? How do I create a directory outside of html?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

It depends on your hosting provider, Go Daddy may not allow you to do it at all. I would contact them to find out for sure.
Becca

looks like I'm going to switch providers..

Post by Becca »

[quote]You can not create directories outside of the hosting root you have access to. The temp directory is already created and is hidden. The path to the directory is "/tmp".[/quote]

so... My options look like I dump everything into /tmp or I get a new hosting provider. Godaddy is reliable and cheap, but not flexible.

What is your opinion on changing the parameters to /tmp while I search for a new host? (I need this up and running by next Wednesday.)
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You're cache directory can be set to /tmp, but your other directories I would not recommend. You could place them inside your HTML directory temporarily while you switch hosting providers, just be aware that it is a HUGE security risk.

We do offer our On-Demand service which we could have you up and running on within hours if you are under a time crunch, the pricing starts at $1.75/employee and goes down from there. Of course you also get the added benefits of us looking after things such as performance, maintenance, upgrades and backups all for you.
Becca

Post by Becca »

I requested a quote, and I'm looking for a new host for my other websites.

Thanks.
Becca

Post by Becca »

All this time I spend trying to get this loaded and then I realize it won't do what I need. Thanks anyway.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

What is it that you were looking for?
Becca

Post by Becca »

I need work around my employees' other jobs, school, etc.
I want them to be able to set their own calendars so I don't schedule them to work when they are not available.
I think your software handles time off via a request system, correct?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Correct, TimeTrex handles time-off by request for the most part, however you can still create what we call Schedule Templates that fit each employee's own schedule and can be used to generate the schedule for you.

What TimeTrex does not do at this time is coverage based scheduling where employees enter time the can/cannot work and TimeTrex automatically generates a schedule based on that and other well defined rules such as seniority, training/education, hours worked previous weeks, etc... However this module is expected in the fall.