Problem with linux installer

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
clilly

Problem with linux installer

Post by clilly »

After finally figuring out how to access this through Shell (sorry, very novice at doing things through shell) and got through the acceptance page. I tried installing in directory /home/bhcainc/staff/timetrex, and this came up: unable to create symbolic link and gives an error about postgres

Note, the previous version installed okay.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The installer can't be used to upgrade a version of TimeTrex that wasn't installed with the installer originally.

If you can post the exact error, we may be able to help you more.
clilly

Post by clilly »

Unable to create symbolic link
/home/bhcainc/timetrex/staff/timetrex/postgresql/bin/postmaster -> postgres

That is all.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Can you try running the installer as root and see if that works? It may just be a permission issue.
clilly

Post by clilly »

That is what I got when attempted as "root".
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Sorry, it won't work with root, I forgot about that.

Were you installing to a completely new directory originally?

We are unable to replicate the error on our end here... I don't see why it couldn't create a symbolic link unless it was some sort of permission issue.

The installer writes a log file as well, perhaps that will have some clues.
clilly

Post by clilly »

Okay, I managed to successfully install timetrex, but it ended up in the wrong directory! So, I am attempting to install it yet AGAIN and now I'm being asked totally different questions about database configuration. Last time, it just ran the installer and that was it. Is there a setting I can grant from WHM that will give the account bhcainc authorization to set permissions for the database?

Thanks Shaun.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If your getting asked totally different questions its probably because the directory you are trying to install it in already has files in it, or you may already have a previous installation running.

Make sure you install TimeTrex to a completely new directory, and that no previous installation is running.

When its installed, there are start/stop scripts in the directory to start/stop it.
clilly

Post by clilly »

I'll run the installer again, and if it fails after I delete all traces of previous timetrex attempts, databases and reboot the server to kill any processes created by timetrex, and it still fails, would you like to look over my log to see what might be the problem?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Sure, you can email the installer log to support@timetrex.com, please include any other message that appeared on the screen, or any other information you feel will be useful.
clilly

Post by clilly »

Hey Shaun,

Everything works now up until the point that I do the installer. After testing the database connection and getting succeded, a 404 not found error.

I really think my server is cursed. lol
shaunw wrote:Sure, you can email the installer log to support@timetrex.com, please include any other message that appeared on the screen, or any other information you feel will be useful.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Whats the URL of the 404 error?