AUTHORIZATION HIERARCHY question

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
jlim

AUTHORIZATION HIERARCHY question

Post by jlim »

Using v.2.2.2

Say I have 3 user setup.

JOHN = regular employee
JANE = supervisor for JOHN
MIKE = manager for JANE

How do I setup the hierachy for JOHN in order for his timesheet to be approved by MIKE as well?

Right now, under AUTHORIZATION HIERARCHY, [timesheet] object, I have the following setup:

(1) JANE
(2) JOHN

How do I put in another level? Do I do?

(1) MIKE
(2) JANE
(3) JOHN

Do I then need to define yet another for JANE timesheet approval as

(1) MIKE
(2) JANE

Or is it automatically assumed from the MIKE->JANE->JOHN?

Is it possible to tie the approval process to anything other than USERS??
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The hierarchy is users only at this time.

All hierarchy objects (requests/timesheets) need to reach level 1 (highest or left most level) before they are deemed fully authorized.

So the hierarchy would need to look like this:

(1) Mike
---- (2) Jane
---- ----- (3) John

Now when John submits something for authorization, Jane has to authorize it, then Mike has too as well. If Jane submits something for authorization, just Mike needs to authorize it.
jlim

Post by jlim »

Here's another scenario ..

Say Employee A and B are under Jane
Jane is under Mike

But timesheet for Employee A has to go through JANE and MIKE
But timesheet for Employee B has to go through JANE only

In the hierarchy, do I define

(1) MIKE
(2) JANE
(3) Employee A

(1) JANE
(2) Employee B

Will the application try to traverse across the tree and realized that in another hierarchy JANE reports to MIKE and forces EMPLOYEE B to go through MIKE as well?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

You can't have an employee in the hierarchy multiple times, so that scenario won't work.
Last edited by shaunw on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlim

Post by jlim »

I'm not sure what you mean by "You can't have a single employee in the hierarchy multiple times"

Say I have the following..

President A
Vice President B
Senior Manager C
Manager D
Supervisor E
Employee F
Secretary G

The reporting structure is as follows:

F -> E -> D -> C -> B -> A

G -> C -> B -> A

Are you saying I cannot define these 2 hierarchy? Instead I must put "G" as such?

F-> E -> (D and G) -> C -> B -> A

Wouldn't that make G (secretary) an approver for F and E as well?

If all I need for each employee type is up to 2 levels, I cannot create the following hierarchy? Based on your statement, I have E, D, C, B, A occuring twice.

F -> E -> D
E -> D -> C
C -> B -> A
B -> A

Unless I misunderstood what you mean by your statement, it doesn't seem reasonable to have a regular employee timecard to have to go all the way to the top for approval.

Please help me understand. Thanks.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Sorry, you can only have employees in the hierarchy once.

So the scenario you described there will not work.
jlim

Post by jlim »

Sorry to keep beating on this issue ... but I just want to understand the application limitation.

Can one at least do this?

All employees timesheet have to be approved by 1 supervisor only.

But all supervisors timesheet has to be approved by 1 manager only.

Can I at least set this up? From what you posted, it appears I cannot even do this coz' the same supervisor name in the employees approval hierarchy will appear again in the other hierarchy.

Is this correct? How do other people solve this issue? I'm not I'm not the only one looking for multiple approval hierarchy.

Thanks.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

No, that won't work either. You can have multiple hierarchies in TimeTrex, but they have to be for different "objects". For instance you can have different hierarchies for TimeSheets or Requests, but only a single hierarchy for each.

Since a supervisor has permissions to modify their timesheet and schedule however they wish, typically they would just send a message to their supervisor requesting something, separate from the authorization system. They can then make the change themselves, or have their supervisor do it for them.
scosaunders

Post by scosaunders »

You mention here that a
supervisor has permissions to modify their timesheet and schedule however they wish
. In my current test installation I find that a 'Supervisor (All Employees)' can do said ability however a 'Supervisor (Subordinates Only)' cannot. Is this correct behavior? I don't think it is and am wondering what I might have setup wrong. I believe this to be incorrect as a 'Supervisor (Subordinates Only)' in this case can approve their own requests without an entry in the authorization hierarchy but cannot modify their timesheet/schedule to reflect the request. Please advise.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

This is by design, as they are only supposed to be modify "subordinates only", which does not include their own.

Depending on how you have the hierarchy setup though, may determine who authorizes their requests. If no one is at a higher level then the supervisor in the hierarchy, then they authorize their own requests, but if someone is higher then them, that person would authorize their requests.

You can enable Punch: "Add", "Edit Own", "Delete Own" and Absence: "Add", "Edit Own", "Delete Own" permissions in the permission group to allow them to edit their own punches/absences if you like though.