Which database to use?

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
MichelleM

Which database to use?

Post by MichelleM »

In my trolling for answers & info, I've come across a couple of posts which have said that PostgreSQL is the better DBMS to use with TT instead of MySQL, for reasons of stability & reliability. Fact, fiction or somewhere in between?

And, if PostgreSQL is better to use, how (and if) would the data be ported over to it from MySQL?

Just curious,
Michelle
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, it is fact that PostgreSQL is a more stable and robust database.

Unfortunately at this time there is no easy way to migrate from MySQL to PostgreSQL if you have all your data on MySQL currently.

MySQL still works fine, it just requires much more care and attention, especially when it comes to backups and upgrades. You need to make absolutely sure you have excellent daily backups and make sure you manually trigger a backup immediately before every upgrade.

One of MySQL's major flaws is that during a TimeTrex upgrade if something happens (invalid permissions, runs out of drive space or virtually any error whatsoever occurs) you can't rollback the change, the database is effectively corrupt and you have to restore from backup.

With PostgreSQL this isn't the case, if an error occurs during upgrade it simply rolls back the changes and continues to operate as if nothing happened.
MichelleM

MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

Post by MichelleM »

Thank you, Shaun. I happen to be more fluent in MySQL so that's why I chose it. We don't plan on using for more than time tracking (not payroll) right now, and since I have a nightly backup scheduled (and could backup more frequently if need be), and lots of disk space (for now), I think I'll stay with MySQL.

Boy I hope I don't get to taste crow pie ... :wink:
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

As long as you have daily backups using proper SQL dumps that work (you should be doing test restores a couple times each year to ensure) the most data you can lose is a day plus any time spent restoring the data.

If that is acceptable to you, then there is no need to change databases.