Standard version for testing-several questions

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
KrisforMSE

Standard version for testing-several questions

Post by KrisforMSE »

1. accrual policies.
a.I have one for paid time off that will accrue for each hour worked. Is there a way to configure it to also accrue for holidays which are absence entries?
b. I have one for comp time which starts when over 8 hours, is there a way to configure it not to use the paid time off accrual listed in a?
2. Professional vs Standard Versions
a. convert from standard to Onsite Professional version - I think I saw in the forum that only employee data can be imported so if I use standard for a month or 2 I'll have to setup everything else from scratch? departments, policies, holidays???
b. Somewhere I read something about the ability to upload a document to a specific employee. I do not see this anywhere in the standard version. I currently have the check stub from another payroll processing software in a passworded pdf for each employee and would like for them to be able to access it from the timetrex login. Please advise if this is only in the professional version and if so will it allow a pdf for each paycheck to be uploaded for each employee.
Thanks for any and all input!
shaunw

Re: Standard version for testing-several questions

Post by shaunw »

1. accrual policies.
a.I have one for paid time off that will accrue for each hour worked. Is there a way to configure it to also accrue for holidays which are absence entries?
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do exactly here. Can you give more details and perhaps an example?
b. I have one for comp time which starts when over 8 hours, is there a way to configure it not to use the paid time off accrual listed in a?
Again I don't quite understand what you are asking. Are you referring to a accrual policy or overtime policy here? Please provide more details.
a. convert from standard to Onsite Professional version - I think I saw in the forum that only employee data can be imported so if I use standard for a month or 2 I'll have to setup everything else from scratch? departments, policies, holidays???
Upgrading from any On-Site edition to any other On-Site edition is extremely easy and no data is lost or needs to be re-entered.

Where the difficulty comes in is migrating from On-Site to On-Demand or vice versa, this is where only employee information can be retained.
b. Somewhere I read something about the ability to upload a document to a specific employee. I do not see this anywhere in the standard version. I currently have the check stub from another payroll processing software in a passworded pdf for each employee and would like for them to be able to access it from the timetrex login. Please advise if this is only in the professional version and if so will it allow a pdf for each paycheck to be uploaded for each employee.
TimeTrex Professional Edition has a Document Management module which supports uploading and storing of documents for employees to access. Its not designed for documents specific to a single individual though, more for groups of employees, like policy and procedure manuals, or employee hand books, things like that. Though additional flexibility is likely to appear in the near future for this module.
KrisforMSE

Post by KrisforMSE »

shaunw wrote:
1. accrual policies.
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do exactly here. Can you give more details and perhaps an example?

I want to accure on an hourly basis in order to reach a total for the year. I call it PTO-40 to accumulate 40 hours after working a total of 1914 in the year. The rate per hour is .0209 and at the end of 8 hours you have .17 accrued. I've entered time for several days and they are showing the accrued time correctly. I entered an absence of holiday for 8 hours and thought I would see the accrued total for that 8 hours, but it is not there.
Again I don't quite understand what you are asking. Are you referring to a accrual policy or overtime policy here? Please provide more details.

I have an accural policy for comp time which is an hour for an hour. I have an overtime policy for over 8 hours and the accural policy is associated with it. It works as expected that each hour over 8 hours shows as comp accrued. The problem is that the accrual described in a above is also accumulating.
Upgrading from any On-Site edition to any other On-Site edition is extremely easy and no data is lost or needs to be re-entered.

Where the difficulty comes in is migrating from On-Site to On-Demand or vice versa, this is where only employee information can be retained.

Glad to hear this one, I know I'll be going to Professional to be able to use clocks and other ways to punch in! Just trying to get everything figured out and a little testing with users before spending the money!
TimeTrex Professional Edition has a Document Management module which supports uploading and storing of documents for employees to access. Its not designed for documents specific to a single individual though, more for groups of employees, like policy and procedure manuals, or employee hand books, things like that. Though additional flexibility is likely to appear in the near future for this module.
Sounds like a good tool. Please take this as a request for future enhancement to have documents specific to an individual. I know you have pay stub info but I'll still be using a different payroll processing software. I already create a password protected pdf and email the stub to the employees, it would be great to put it where they can get to it when they use the time keeping.

Thanks for all the answers! I'll continue to work with the accrual/OT/schedule policies I might not have the combination s right yet but if you have some helpful hints on the holidays or specialized PTO (paid time off) setup please share.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I want to accrue on an hourly basis in order to reach a total for the year. I call it PTO-40 to accumulate 40 hours after working a total of 1914 in the year. The rate per hour is .0209 and at the end of 8 hours you have .17 accrued. I've entered time for several days and they are showing the accrued time correctly. I entered an absence of holiday for 8 hours and thought I would see the accrued total for that 8 hours, but it is not there.
Hour Based accrual policies only accrue based on worked time, not absence time. In most cases when entering absence time, time is withdrawn from the accrual, not deposited. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind an hour based accrual accruing time when the employee isn't actually working because the more time off an employee takes the more time off they are able to take.

I have an accural policy for comp time which is an hour for an hour. I have an overtime policy for over 8 hours and the accrual policy is associated with it. It works as expected that each hour over 8 hours shows as comp accrued. The problem is that the accrual described in a above is also accumulating.
Are you saying that when an employee works overtime (after 8hrs in the day), the time is being deposited into their accrual, but they are also getting accrued time based on Hour Based accrual policies? In any case that is correct. You can adjust the overtime accrual rate to be ( 1.00 - 0.0209 [hour based accrual rate] ) so it isn't doubled up if you like.
KrisforMSE

Post by KrisforMSE »

Thanks Shaunw, you did understand. I thought more about the holiday and you are right no need to accrue time then!

On the comp time the solution to use 1-.0209 would work to avoid doubling. I just have several different rates of accrual based on years of service so I'll end up with a comp type accrual and absence for each. I was trying hard not to do that but with a group policy for all with PTO accruing at 40 hours per year all their other policies will match that.

Tomorrow testing on hierarchies and requests and approvals!

Thanks again!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

There is another option, you could scrap the hour based accrual policy and use a premium policy instead. Premium policies don't have milestones, but I think we just concluded that your business policy won't allow for that anyways.

What premium policies will buy you is that you can set a maximum time per day, so if you set this to 8hrs, and your overtime policy kicked in after that, you wouldn't need to have multiple overtime policies all at different rates for different employees, but you would need one premium policy for each rate of accrual. Since each premium policy can deposit to the same accrual policy (type: standard for you in this case), you wouldn't need separate absence policies to withdraw from the either.

This method might save you having to create a few policies and simplify things slightly.