Rollovers with Accrual Policy

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
MichelleM

Rollovers with Accrual Policy

Post by MichelleM »

Maybe I'm just being dense, but here goes:

The company I work for allows you to earn 3 weeks of vacation per year but only carry over 1 week of it to the next. I'm unsure if this can be set up in the Accrual Policy in TT.

Currently, the settings I have on the "Edit Accrual Policy" page are as follows:

Code: Select all

NAME: Vacation-12 Month Employees
TYPE: Calendar-based

--FREQUENCY TO APPLY--
FREQUENCY: Monthly
DAY OF MONTH: 31  [i.e. end of the month]
AFTER MINIMUM EMPLOYED DAYS: 1

--MILESTONE ROLLOVER BASED ON--
MONTH: September
DAY OF MONTH: 30

--LENGTH OF SERVICE MILESTONES--
LENGTH OF SERVICE: After 1 Day(s)
ACCRUAL RATE/YEAR: 112.50  [our day is 7.5 hours]
ACCRUAL TOTAL MAXIMUM:  150.00  ***
If I set the Accrual Total Maximum to 37.5, the employee won't accrue any more time past that amount (which makes sense). I set the max number to 112.5 + 37.5 on the outside chance that someone could somehow not use any vacation (3 weeks) PLUS his/her carryover from the year before (1 week). (Unlikely but could happen.)

I witnessed this behavior because I did a "catch up" using the "Calculate Accruals Immediately For The Following Dates" function.

Am I missing something? Or do I need a separate Policy to allow for the 1 week carryover (which is cool, no problem)?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex currently doesn't support carrying out different behavior at the end of each year. In this case only allowing a specific carry-over to occur.

If I understand you correctly, if an employee accrues 3 weeks in the year, but doesn't use any of it, they would essentially lose 2 weeks, and only be able to carry over 1 week to the next year? This would have to be done by manually adjusting each employees accrual balance.

If thats not the case, and instead if the employee doesn't use any vacation time, but it allowed to accrue up to a total of 4 weeks in the 2nd year, then simply setting the Accrual Total Maximum to 4 weeks should suffice.
MichelleM

Accrual / Rollover

Post by MichelleM »

Shaun - you are correct in your understanding. This is not uncommon, from my very unscientific survey, with the range of carryover from not being allowed to carry over ANY vacation to being allowed to carry over two weeks (which is the most I've seen in the non-government sector).

That's OK. With the reporting features of TT that issue can certainly be monitored. It's more or less what we're doing now but much nicer. :)
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

We will probably be adding this functionality in the near future, as we do get the odd request for it.

By far the majority of our customers simply have a upper limit to the amount of accrued vacation, or they automatically pay out unused vacation at the end of each year.
Nox

Post by Nox »

Hi Shaun,

I was just coming in here to ask the same question as Michelle. Our company is the same way. We give out 80 hours per year, and they are allowed to carry-over a maximum of 40 hours of unused time into the new year, but that does not affect the 80 hours they start accruing in the next year.

So, in theory if someone did not take vacation for 2 years, they could conceivably bank 120 hours, but if it rolled over to the 3rd year, they would lose all but 40 hours of that and start accruing time again.