Where do I use this?

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
dniezby

Where do I use this?

Post by dniezby »

I installed this my Linux laptop but it seems that this is supposed to be used on a live website environment. Is that where this is supposed to be installed? If so, how do I do this?

Obviously, if it's on my laptop, my employees can't sign in when they're on site and I'm in the office.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex can be installed anywhere, but as you mentioned, installing it on your laptop doesn't do much good if your laptop is at home and your employees are at working needing to record their time and can't access it.

TimeTrex is web-based software, so it should be installed on a computer that your employees will have access to the most. This may be a computer in your office or it may be a dedicated server at a hosting company, it doesn't matter to TimeTrex itself, what matters is if the employees are able to access it.
dniezby

Post by dniezby »

I thought so.

So, how would one install this on a webserver?

Is there an installation script or do I have to do it manually?

Also, my server uses mySql do I need to do something because of that?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Are you trying to install it on shared hosting server that only offers MySQL?
dniezby

Post by dniezby »

I guess I'd be on a shrared server. I use a hosting service so I guess that would count.

Do I have to install in the root? Can't it be installed in a sub directory?

I downloaded the "experts only" file and it would seen that is what I need to install. Am I right?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, the "experts only" file is what you would need to use to install. However TimeTrex does not support shared servers at all.