Degree of Precision

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
MichelleM

Degree of Precision

Post by MichelleM »

A question regarding degree of precision: I've noticed that the decimals only go out 2 places (tenths and hundredths). Is there any way to go one more step to the thousandth or is that "by design" (i.e. it's the way it's programmed or stored in the database)?

Personally I don't have an issue but you know these finance types... :roll:

heh,
Michelle
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

What are you referring to. Hours in the timesheet or dollar amounts on the pay stubs?
MichelleM

Degrees of Precision

Post by MichelleM »

I'm working on setting up accruals, and those policies are OK. What I'm doing is assigning people their initial balances, like 14.866 hours of vacation. If I enter 14.866 and click "Submit" it comes back with 14.87 (which makes sense from a rounding perspective).
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

In most cases TimeTrex stores the data in a more precise format then it will display. So in your example if you enter 14.866 it will be stored as that amount, but it is simply rounded for display purposes. When it comes time to do any totals then 14.866 is used and the final amount is rounded (once).

Keep in mind that 0.001 of an hour is 3 second accuracy, which when calculating wages based on that is about 1 cent if an employee gets paid $10/hr.

All punches in TimeTrex are rounded to the nearest minute.
MichelleM

Thank you!

Post by MichelleM »

Thanks Shawn, I completely understand! Yes, I realize how miniscule that 0.001 of an hour is ... but you understand accounting types! Here's one more eye roll for the road... :roll:

:lol:
Michelle
MichelleM

Quick follow up

Post by MichelleM »

And in fact, I went into the tables themselves and saw this with *my own two eyes*! Now if I am asked I can say ... here! See! It's just been that kind of day ...
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I spoke with one of our developers and they said it would be pretty trivial to add an additional Time Unit format that supports three decimal places.

So you should see this available in the next version of TimeTrex.
MichelleM

Even as a Preference

Post by MichelleM »

Not being a whiz bang programmer myself (more of a hack & slash), it could also be done as an overall preference. Thanks for looking into it for me!

Michelle