cron task failure

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
StAugIT

cron task failure

Post by StAugIT »

Hello, I'm having troubles running the maintainer script.

I have put the entry in my cron tab, and have also

"su www-data" (so I'm logged into the prompt)

and I run

"php cron.php"

When I run it, I don't get any errors, it just happily executes whatever is in that page. I've looked in logs and things and haven't found any entries.

while in the directory and the error still displays for all users:

WARNING: TimeTrex maintenance jobs have not run in the last 48hours. Please contact your TimeTrex administrator immediately.

This is my cron entry:

* * * * * su www-data -c "php /var/www/php/timetrex/classes/modules/core/../../../maint/cron.php" > /dev/null 2>&1

If you think that this could be because I did the search and replace fix for the TimeDate class, if you can think of something that needs to change in cron.php because of that please let me know. Any suggestions would be great and once again thanks for your time!
--------------------
Atlantique Press
St. Augustine Florida
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Have a look at this thread, if you can provide me with the same information that was asked for there, that would help:

http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?t=101
StAugIT

Post by StAugIT »

-----
(mysqlt): SET SESSION sql_mode='ansi'
-----
-----
(mysqlt):
select *
from cron
WHERE deleted = 0 LIMIT 2147483647
-----
<br>
<b>Debug Buffer</b><br>
============================================================================<br>
Memory Usage: 3404252<br>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
DEBUG [138]: <b>[Function]()</b>: Production: 1<br>
DEBUG [92]: <b>TTDate::setTimeZone()</b>: Setting TimeZone: PST8PDT<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: AddPayPeriod<br>
DEBUG [397]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Epoch: 1166036880 - 13-Dec-06 11:08 AM PST<br>
DEBUG [345]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule String has multiple commas: 1<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: *<br>
DEBUG [374]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Found Full Range!: *<br>
DEBUG [403]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Day Of Week Matches: 3<br>
DEBUG [345]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule String has multiple commas: 1<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: *<br>
DEBUG [374]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Found Full Range!: *<br>
DEBUG [408]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Month Matches: 12<br>
DEBUG [413]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Day Of Month Matches: 12<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: 0<br>
DEBUG [377]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Singleton: 0<br>
DEBUG [438]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Hour DOES NOT Match: 11<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: AddUserDate<br>
DEBUG [397]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Epoch: 1166036880 - 13-Dec-06 11:08 AM PST<br>
DEBUG [403]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Day Of Week Matches: 3<br>
DEBUG [413]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Day Of Month Matches: 12<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: 0<br>
DEBUG [438]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Hour DOES NOT Match: 11<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: calcExceptions<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: AddRecurringPayStubAmendment<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: AddRecurringHoliday<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: UserCount<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: 1<br>
DEBUG [377]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Singleton: 1<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: AddRecurringScheduleShift<br>
DEBUG [418]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Hour Matches: 12<br>
DEBUG [345]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule String has multiple commas: 2<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: 20<br>
DEBUG [377]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Singleton: 20<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: 50<br>
DEBUG [377]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Singleton: 50<br>
DEBUG [434]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Minute DOES NOT Match: 8<br>
DEBUG [389]: <b>CronJobFactory::isScheduledToRun()</b>: Checking if Cron Job is scheduled to run: CheckForUpdate<br>
DEBUG [371]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Schedule atom does not have range: 5<br>
DEBUG [377]: <b>CronJobFactory::parseScheduleString()</b>: Singleton: 5<br>
============================================================================<br>

System info can be found here:

http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?t=79
--------------------
Atlantique Press
St. Augustine Florida
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Okay, the cron.php script is working.

Is you're cron daemon actually running cron.php when it should?

What is the exact command you have in your crontab file?

Check your cron log to see if there are entries where your cron daemon ran the cron.php file each minute?
StAugIT

Post by StAugIT »

I have looked through my logs but I don't see one that pertains particularly to cron actions, I looked at the syslog and saw a couple things from the cron daemon but it didn't look like it was in response to this script. I have also run "php cron.php" as www-data, it executed, but the error message still shows up on users interfaces. If you have another idea or some more debug output that I could show you I would be happy to assist in any way. If you can also give any insight as to where the cron would place its log entries, I will look more closely. Thanks again for the help!
--------------------
Atlantique Press
St. Augustine Florida
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

StAugIT wrote:I have looked through my logs but I don't see one that pertains particularly to cron actions, I looked at the syslog and saw a couple things from the cron daemon but it didn't look like it was in response to this script. I have also run "php cron.php" as www-data, it executed, but the error message still shows up on users interfaces. If you have another idea or some more debug output that I could show you I would be happy to assist in any way. If you can also give any insight as to where the cron would place its log entries, I will look more closely. Thanks again for the help!
You'll need to answer all the questions in my last post for me to help you further.
StAugIT

Post by StAugIT »

If you run the command manually, does it output anything to the screen?

No

What does the windows task scheduler say for the last time the task was run? When was the scheduled task created?

I'm running debian not windows, if you have some output that I can show you I can pastebin my syslog or something if you want.

Enable debug mode as per:

http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?t=89

Then edit includes/CLI.inc.php and delete the four debug lines from that file. Run cron.php again manually and paste the output here. There should be a good 50-80 lines of text.

Done this in my previous post.

Something looks broken. Try:

php-win.exe -v

I don't use windows

Checking your php error log might give a clue to what is wrong.

I have no errors in php from the php.ini logs

Let me know if there are more questions I can answer. Also, since it seems to be running fine, if there is a way to just stop this error from displaying by modifying some code, if you could let me know how to do that it would be awesome. Thanks again for your time.
--------------------
Atlantique Press
St. Augustine Florida
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

What is the exact command you have in your crontab file?

You also need to find where your cron daemon is logging to so you can search for other cron entries. If your cron daemon is saying that it is running other crontab entires but not TimeTrex's cron.php, you know there is a problem with cron.
StAugIT

Post by StAugIT »

Cron file entry:

* * * * * su www-data -c "php /var/www/php/timetrex/classes/modules/core/../../../maint/cron.php" > /dev/null 2>&1

I'm not seeing anything in my syslog about failure of a cron task or anything like that. I have also run the php script as "www-data" with no errors which should (correct me if I am wrong) make the error message disappear. If there is a way to modify the code (since in a previous post you said that it was working correctly) to just disabe the message from showing, I would appreciate it. Thankyou.
--------------------
Atlantique Press
St. Augustine Florida
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

StAugIT wrote:Cron file entry:

I'm not seeing anything in my syslog about failure of a cron task or anything like that. I have also run the php script as "www-data" with no errors which should (correct me if I am wrong) make the error message disappear. If there is a way to modify the code (since in a previous post you said that it was working correctly) to just disabe the message from showing, I would appreciate it. Thankyou.
Your cron daemon should add a line to its log everytime it does run a command. If your not seeing that, I would assume that it isn't being run properly.

Running cron.php once or twice manually won't get rid of the message because cron.php has to be run at the exact minute a job is scheduled until every job has been run at least once before that message will disappear.

Mike suggested to me that you try adding this code to your cron.php right above the second last line: Debug::Display();

Code: Select all

//Save file to /tmp/ with the last executed date, so we know if cron is actually calling us.
file_put_contents('/tmp/timetrex_cron_last_executed.txt', TTDate::getDate('DATE+TIME', time() )."\n" );
This will cause a file to be written with the date cron.php was run inside it, so you'll know right away if your cron daemon is calling it or not.

Simply run:

cat /tmp/timetrex_cron_last_executed.txt

If the date in that file isn't being changed every minute then your cron daemon isn't doing its job. If you run cron.php manually, you should see the date change each time.
StAugIT

Post by StAugIT »

This has been resolved, did not enter the cron entries in the right files, it was misleading in debian.

Cron entries for anyone interested are in /var/spool/cron/* for debian
and should only be edited with the:
# crontab -e
command run as root or your web user (www-data) and should then omit the 'su www-data' part of the cron tab. Sorry for my stupidity in this matter and thankyou for working with me.
--------------------
Atlantique Press
St. Augustine Florida