Province/State not showing up

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
arvand

Province/State not showing up

Post by arvand »

In any of the pages inside Timetrax, Province/State isn't showing up.

I've tried both the latest beta and 1.3.1. I'm also using the latest php and mysql 5 versions. This is on a linux system.

Do note that I'm using PHP as CGI. I Removed your check in the install script because I've been hosting users for the past 3 years and with over 20 servers running PHP as CGI, I have not witnessed one application that has problems with it. Those who have problems with PHP as CGI simply don't know how to use it and how powerful its permission capabilities are.
shaunw

Re: Province/State not showing up

Post by shaunw »

arvand wrote:In any of the pages inside Timetrax, Province/State isn't showing up.

I've tried both the latest beta and 1.3.1. I'm also using the latest php and mysql 5 versions. This is on a linux system.

Do note that I'm using PHP as CGI. I Removed your check in the install script because I've been hosting users for the past 3 years and with over 20 servers running PHP as CGI, I have not witnessed one application that has problems with it. Those who have problems with PHP as CGI simply don't know how to use it and how powerful its permission capabilities are.
Please consult http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?t=89

That check is in place for a reason. Try it without running PHP in CGI mode and see if it works.
arvand

Post by arvand »

Shaun,

As I mentioned, there is NOTHING different when PHP is deplyed as CGI except for a few .htaccess directives.

The fact that your developers don't have enough experience with PHP as CGI is not an excuse to turn it off. I was thinking about purchasing support from your company but if this is how your support would function, we may look at other payroll and employee time accounting software solutions.

PHP as CGI provides security and nothing but that. Our servers WILL NOT run anything but PHP as CGI. Will you provide support with PHP as CGI?
arvand

Post by arvand »

As mentioned, CGI with PHP works fine. The problem is that your Javascript doesn't work on Mozilla.

I don't mind using IE for your application but if you plan on having many companies use your software, it needs to accomodate more settings such as php as CGI, your own SOAP library (NuSoap), and work on more browsers than just IE (Javascript correction).

Just my 2 cents.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

There are minor differences between running PHP in CGI mode as compared to running it as an Apache/IIS module. Have a look here:

http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=cgi

and

http://ca.php.net/manual/en/security.cgi-bin.php

Those issues combined with the fact that about 1 in 500 people even attempt to install TimeTrex in CGI mode is more than enough reason to not support it at this time.

We are for-profit company, and as such we try to accommodate as many people as possible. If you have a support contract with us we will bend over backwards to help you out in any way we can. We even do routine server maintenance if the case requires it. If you aren't willing to purchase a support contract than we are still willing to help you out, but you have to be willing to do some extra leg work.

The problem is NOT that our Javascript code doesn't work in Mozilla. Our primary development platform is FireFox v2.0 on Linux and the majority of our users utilize FireFox as well. You can see for yourself by testing with our online demo:

http://demo.timetrex.com/interface/Logi ... sword=demo

The problem is likely that PHP in CGI mode not playing nice with our AJAX code somewhere. But without doing proper troubleshooting to narrow it down, we can't be 100% sure. If you can prove to us that the problem DOES occur when running PHP as a module then we will be happy to fix the issue. Failing that we need to know exactly where the problem is occurring, and what that problem is (error log outputs, etc...) before we can even attempt to come up with a solution. This is where that extra leg work I was talking about comes in.

If you don't have the time for that, or are unwilling to do it, we would be happy to do it for you if you purchase a support contract of course.

We value all our customers, ones that actively pay us for our products and services and ones that don't, because just the fact that you use TimeTrex benefits us, which is why we offer a free open source product and free support in the first place. I would be very interested if you can find any other company that comes even close to offering something similar to what we do.

Anyways back to the issue at hand, the reason Shaun requested that you try running PHP as a module was solely for troubleshooting purposes given the lack of information you provided. If the problem doesn't occur when running PHP as a module it clearly shows PHP in CGI mode is causing a problem and greatly helps to narrow down the search. If you can provide us with error logs that would also help to narrow down the search.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!