Problem after upgrade to 3.3.1

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
Cynjut

Problem after upgrade to 3.3.1

Post by Cynjut »

I just finished a manual upgrade from 3.3.0 to 3.3.1.

Everything is installed, scheduling and other features seem to be working. The only problem I'm running in to is this in the Paycheck Generator:

1. No Earnings, employee may not have any hours for this pay period, or their wage may not be set
2. Net Pay doesn't match earnings or deductions

The wage is set, and the employee has hours for the time-period. I noted on another screen this warning from UserWageList.php:

This employee does not have a wage set for the default wage group, therefore they will not receive any regular time earnings.

I've looked all afternoon trying to find the default wage group wage setting. I've found the default wage group, but there's nothing on the screen that indicates that there is a default wage for the group - all I've found is the wage group name.

I'm assuming that it's a data-driver permissions thing, where the wage group stuff was added recently and that the database entries for the admin user to access them is simply not installed in the database. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd certainly appreciate it.
shaunw

Re: Problem after upgrade to 3.3.1

Post by shaunw »

This employee does not have a wage set for the default wage group, therefore they will not receive any regular time earnings.
I think your looking too far into this. Simply set the wage group for this employees wage entry to "DEFAULT" rather then one of the groups that you manually created. All regular time is based on the employees "DEFAULT" wage, without that TimeTrex calculates X number of hours * $0, and won't generate a pay stub.

Wage groups are designed for cases where you pay employees different wages for different jobs they may work in a given day. They are an advanced feature that are used quite rarely. The fact that you are getting this message likely means that you don't need wage groups at all.
Cynjut

Post by Cynjut »

shaunw wrote:
I think your looking too far into this. Simply set the wage group for this employees wage entry to "DEFAULT" rather then one of the groups that you manually created. All regular time is based on the employees "DEFAULT" wage, without that TimeTrex calculates X number of hours * $0, and won't generate a pay stub.

Wage groups are designed for cases where you pay employees different wages for different jobs they may work in a given day. They are an advanced feature that are used quite rarely. The fact that you are getting this message likely means that you don't need wage groups at all.
The default wage group didn't actually solve the problem - I must be doing something else wrong.

OK - I'm kind of good with that. I manage a non-profit theater, and we have five employees and two wage groups. If the projectionist for the night is running the movie, they get paid one wage, and when they are working the snack bar they get a different amount. The wage groups seemed like the simplest way to do that, since it gave me the flexibility to assign different wages to different tasks. I still can't find the screen that allows me to update the wage group wages, so I guess I need to do something like assign different locations and pay a "bonus" wage to the projectionists.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

All wages are under Admin -> Employee Administrator, click the "Payroll" functions link in the table header, then click "Wages" beside the employee. This will take you to the employees Wage list, click Edit on any of the wages and change the Wage Group there.
Cynjut

Post by Cynjut »

shaunw wrote:All wages are under Admin -> Employee Administrator, click the "Payroll" functions link in the table header, then click "Wages" beside the employee. This will take you to the employees Wage list, click Edit on any of the wages and change the Wage Group there.
Group Type Wage Effective Date Functions
-Default- Hourly $10.85 2010-01-01 [ Edit ]

Here's what I've got for one of the employees. The group is default, the type and wage are set (hourly@10.85) and the effective date is well back in the past. I'm still getting the same error when I try to generate pay stubs

"1. No Earnings, employee may not have any hours for this pay period, or their wage may not be set."

The attached JPG shows the hours. An interesting thing that I'm not sure how to interpret is that there were no "regular" hours; all of the hours are overtime. I've built a recurring schedule for the projectionists with the hours that they work, but I think I may have hosed this up beyond repair.

The problem I'm going to run into is that projectionist work the snack bar, and when they do, they only get $6.75 an hour.

I'm sure this is all just some kind of problem I've caused for myself, but I don't have enough experience yet with the software to skull out how to fix it.
Attachments
timetrex.jpg
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yeah, I'm not sure what you've done, but it sounds strange.

From what I understand, I would recommend a setup along the lines of this:

1. All employees get a "default" wage of the lowest wage that they would ever earn. ($6.75/hr?)

2. Setup a "Snack Bar" and "Projectionist" department.

3. Setup a shift differential premium policy, that when an employee punches into the "Projectionist" department, they get paid the higher rate ($10.85)

You should then have regular time for each employee on each day, and your overtime policy can removed or configured in a more common scenario (ie: after 40hrs/week)
Cynjut

Post by Cynjut »

I think I"m going to do a full reinstall of 3.3.1. Note that I run the software under NetBSD 5.1, and it works fine. Reinstalling is going to be a relative snap, since I've been through the company and department install steps three times now. Doing them one more time should be fairly straightforward.