failed upgrade to community edition

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
jstacey

failed upgrade to community edition

Post by jstacey »

I decided to install the new community edition of timetrex and during the install it asked if I made a backup, so I made a backup of c:\timetrex thinking if there were any problems I could revert to my standard edition, but I guess this isn't the case? Where did I go wrong???

I've attached the errors I got during install, no my event log is giving apache / php errors saying installed incorrectly with sidebyside.
Attachments
attachments.png
attachments (1).png
shaunw

Re: failed upgrade to community edition

Post by shaunw »

What version of TimeTrex were you upgrading from? Also what version of Windows are you using and is it 32bit or 64bit?

On the off chance that it may help, have you tried rebooting then attempting the upgrade again?
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

I had the latest standard edition installed which is v5.3.3 I believe then applied the community edition. It's a windows 2008 R2 64bit server environment.

I had luck restoring the c:\TimeTrex directory from backup then reinstalling the standard edition v5.3.2 over it which treated it like an upgrade and reinstalled the php/apache services. So far so good, but I'd like to try the community upgrade sometime again soon.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Could you copy and paste the exact side-by-side error you saw in the event log please?
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

Here it is ..

----

Activation context generation failed for "C:\TimeTrex\php\php-win.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-22T21:54:00.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>173028</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>mtl-it-002.solidmtl.local</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>C:\TimeTrex\php\php-win.exe</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

Activation context generation failed for "C:\TimeTrex\php\php5apache2_2.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-05-22T21:42:55.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>173006</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>mtl-it-002.solidmtl.local</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>C:\TimeTrex\php\php5apache2_2.dll</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Please try downloading the following copy of TimeTrex and let us know if it fixes your issue:
http://www.timetrex.com/direct_download ... taller.exe
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

timetrex fail2.jpg
timetrex fail2.jpg
Tried it, and it failed!

The description for Event ID 0 from source PostgreSQL cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

LOG: database system is shut down
Attachments
timetrex fail.jpg
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

IS there somewhere I can download v.5.3.3 still?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Since its been several weeks from our last response, try this URL and see if it makes any difference:
http://www.timetrex.com/direct_download ... taller.exe
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

Alright, I finally got through the install ... just have to wait and see if all the old employee figures add up.

So everything was messed up and even the 7.0.1 install was failing BUT I still had a c:\TimeTrex backup. I removed all traces of timetrex including the PostgreSQL / Timetrex services by using "sc delete servicename" from the terminal, then I restored c:\TimeTrex to it's proper place.

I found a copy of the v5.3.2 install and it installed properly, then after finalizing the install from the web interface I rebooted and did a v7.0.1 install and it went through. Amazing!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Great to hear you got it working again.
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

It's not working after all. When I login it says "critical maintenance jobs have not been run in the last 48 hours" and "pay periods past their transaction date have not been closed", and the time accumulated for each employee is wrong.

I have a feeling I need to install with the 5.3.3 install because the backed up version of c:\TimeTrex I have was from v5.3.3 and all I could find for an older install when v7 wasn't working was v5.3.2. Can anyone show me where I can download the older releases of timetrex??
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

I have a feeling this is my issue... in the task scheduler I want to change the user to administrator but it is greyed out? It also says there is no service?? What do I do?
Attachments
timetrexsched.png
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yeah, your scheduled task is also set to only run when the user is logged in, which is definitely a problem. Each time the installer is run it tries to delete the scheduled task and re-create it though (in hopes of fixing any issues such as this).

Are you able to manually delete the scheduled task then run the installer again (you can upgrade v7.0.1 to v7.0.1 without a problem) to see if it fixes it?
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

I can try to remove the scheduled task then reinstall. Is there a missing service it should also add ?
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

ok I removed the scheduled task and reinstalled. Now when I go into scheduled tasks there is nothing regarding TimeTrex ?! I wish I didn't delete it so that I could create a new one with the settings from the old one.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Can you attach the c:\timetrex\install.log for us to examine?

The command that TimeTrex runs to create the scheduled task is:

Code: Select all

c:\windows\system32\schtasks /create /RU SYSTEM /SC minute /TN timetrex_maintenance /TR ""c:\timetrex\php\php-win.exe" "c:\timetrex\timetrex\maint\cron.php""
If you run that manually do you get any error messages?
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

does that syntax work for you? for me it gives ..

C:\Users\Administrator>c:\windows\system32\schtasks /create /RU SYSTEM /SC minute /TN timetrex_maintenance /TR "c:\timetrex\php\php-win.exe" "c:\timetrex\timetrex\maint\cron.php""

ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'c:\timetrex\timetrex\maint\cron.php"'.
Type "SCHTASKS /CREATE /?" for usage.

C:\Users\Administrator>
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

shaunw

Post by shaunw »

jstacey wrote:does that syntax work for you? for me it gives ..

C:\Users\Administrator>c:\windows\system32\schtasks /create /RU SYSTEM /SC minute /TN timetrex_maintenance /TR "c:\timetrex\php\php-win.exe" "c:\timetrex\timetrex\maint\cron.php""

ERROR: Invalid argument/option - 'c:\timetrex\timetrex\maint\cron.php"'.
Type "SCHTASKS /CREATE /?" for usage.

C:\Users\Administrator>
Sorry, I deleted a quote when I was adjusting the command for your specific case, I have updated the previous post to reflect the correction now.
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

Ok that worked, so now there is a scheduled task for Timetrex maintenance and it says it ran successfully. Must I restart the timetrex services now? because when I login to TimeTrex I still have this notice saying ..

WARNING: Critical maintenance jobs have not run in the last 48hours. Please contact your TimeTrex administrator immediately.
WARNING: Pay periods past their transaction date have not been closed yet. It's critical that these pay periods are closed to prevent data loss, click here to close them now.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

It may take up to 24hrs for the maintenance jobs message to go away, however the pay periods past their transaction date is because you haven't closed the pay periods yourself.
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

I'm still getting the maintenance jobs message after waiting 48hrs this weekend. It took me more then two weeks to recover from the failed Community Edition install so maybe it has something to do with that. My scheduled task is going through fine every minute .. does it need to go through that often?? Maybe change it to once an hour??
Attachments
timetrex.png
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, it needs to be run every minute, running it less often will definitely cause problems.

If you run the maintenance job command manually, do you see any output at all? Also could you try enabling debug logging and attach the log here after letting it run for an hour or two.
jstacey

Post by jstacey »

Just tried to run command manually

C:\Windows\system32>c:\timetrex\php\php-win.exe c:\timetrex\timetrex\maint\cron.php

and I get .

"The program can't start because libintl.dll is missing from your computer"