Not enough disk space available

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
pribis

Not enough disk space available

Post by pribis »

I'm trying to upgrade by hand. I've done this many times in the past. This time I'm getting:

Not enough disk space available, please free up disk space and try again.

I have 6GB available on this drive. Am I to conclude that TimeTrex requires more than 6GB of drive space to install?

I have v8.0.1 and I'm trying to upgrade to v8.0.2 (mostly because auto upgrade keeps failing and I need to get rid of the red banner so employees wills top telling me about it).
pribis

Re: Not enough disk space available

Post by pribis »

classes/modules/install/Install.class.php the checkDiskSpace has

$min_free_percent = 6;

My drive 220 GB. I have enough space, but because the percent I have available is 4 the install fails.

That percentage really doesn't work on larger drives.

So, I changed that number to 1, retook the sha1 of the file and replaced it in files.sha1 and reran the upgrade which succeeded.
pribis

Post by pribis »

And of course the unattended upgrade will fail again on my system because a new version of Install.class.php is downloaded and used to compare versions.

So I have to go into THAT version, change the line mentioned in the last post, grab the hash, update files.sha1 and run the unattended_install.php again.
pribis

Post by pribis »

Grrr, of course the above post isn't going to work because a new copy is downloaded an unzipped over the last one thus losing my changes.

Ok, so I've turned of unattended upgrade, set the fail flag 0 and basically gave up.

Maybe someone can change the percentage of drive space used or make it a setting in the config. It really doesn't work the way it is currently.

Thanks.
pribis

Post by pribis »

Wow! Six whole years since I mentioned this. What...is...the...point?

Code: Select all

if ( $free_space > $min_free_space AND $free_space_percent > $min_free_percent ) {
                        return 0;
 }
I've been commenting this out for six years because even though I had plenty of free space, the percentage always failed even when I had way more than the minimum. So if I have a terabyte of space and 50GB free this will fail.

Free space is free space. Either you want us to have 2GB or you don't. But to decide that TimeTrex can't be installed even if you have, for example, 20GB of free space, based solely on the total size of the drive seems unreasonable.

Am I missing something?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

There are many reasons we have that requirement, for one if your drive is more than about 85% full you will start to notice performance degradation due to file system fragmentation and if its over 95% full it can become quite severe to the point where maintenance jobs can't complete on time. During some major upgrades (specifically of the database service) it may be necessary to use between 4-6x the disk space that it normally may use, so we need to ensure that space is always available for those situations, otherwise downtime and possible data loss may occur.

Additionally some operating systems reserve 5% of free space for the system and approaching that value can start to cause problems and failed database transactions, so we need to ensure that level is never crossed.

The bottom line is in most cases TimeTrex is a mission critical component for the company and if it fails for any reason it can have a negative effect on every employee in the company. Ensuring that the server has at least 6% free drive space (regardless of actual free space) is a minimum requirement for all widely used file systems to operate in a proper and efficient manner.

While we understand its not going to please everyone, the fact of the matter is it has prevented countless hours of downtime for companies using TimeTrex over the years, mostly in cases where other services or log files have grown out of the control unnoticed until TimeTrex finally pops up a notice saying the disk is too full.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
pribis

Post by pribis »

You are right. I am the IT manager for our systems and I get regular reports and notices about the state of my servers. I guess most people installing this aren't in the same position I am. But then again...if it is really mission critical you would think that having qualified people managing their resources would be a must. But this a DIY generation so I guess not. For the record...I still think it is overkill. A warning message and an option to bypass it would be better. Let the person decide. Even if it were a .ini setting. But I suppose me commenting it out and retaking a sha1 sum of the file works too. So, whatever.
trexor

Post by trexor »

I'm in the same dilemma as you pribis.

I manage to find the file located here: \timetrex\classes\modules\install\Install.class.php

First thing I did was just modify the percent to 1%, did a re-check on installation, it took a while and finally an error popup, "Hash is incorrect". So even if you want to modify this you can't do it. It almost like it is hardcode to prevent from modification which is understandable.

Now I have to find where the hash and edit that too. How did you goes in fixing this problem?

My temporary solution at the moment is to go through some older and bigger file and do a little of cleaning HDD, and hopefully that will work. Otherwise I will try finding where the hash detail is located and give that a try. Sincerely hope all this extra work will pay off it this is the ideal software.

All I want to do is try this software to see if it fit my needs, still haven't found one yet but it making it difficulties.

Should any developer come read this, I suggest maybe to state what is the required amount of HDD space required. Or perhaps even a checkbox to "ignore" the %. Imagine having a 5TB harddrive and needing 6% of that?