Migration failure

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
Jackrabbit13

Migration failure

Post by Jackrabbit13 »

My client was running version 9.0.12 on Windows 7. I'm attempting to migrate the install to Windows 10 on a new machine. I followed the migration instructions found here. Ran the new install and stopped before opening IE to configure. Backed up the database and renamed as directed. Deleted all lines before /connect timetrex. Copied salt entry from previous .ini file. etc.

First try went well but received error message on database upgrade. Said it failed.

Uninstalled, reinstalled following all steps. Database upgrade was running then received message about lost connection. That is where I ended up with all subsequent attempts.

I apologize for lack of specifity since I can't currently access the machine that I'm attempting the migration on. Just need a clue on what I need to do differently if I've erred somehow.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,

Jackrabbit
shaunw

Re: Migration failure

Post by shaunw »

Unfortunately without specifics or exact error messages, there isn't much more we can assist with at this point.
Jackrabbit13

Post by Jackrabbit13 »

Thanks Shaun,

Not the reply I expected. I'm trying to support TimeTrex. Absent of specifics, I was simply asking for general ideas where I might have gone wrong. I'll get you your specifics but I've never been in a support environment where I couldn't offer some guidance if given a general idea of the problem. Basically you offer me nothing until I jump through some hoops. Guess I better get jumping.... ;-)
Jackrabbit13

Post by Jackrabbit13 »

Okay, so I tried once again. Ran regedit and deleted all instances of timetrex. Reinstalled and restored the former database after deleting all lines prior to \connect timetrex

Copied salt from former timetrex.ini.

Finally saw indication of upgrade.

Came to login screen. Entered credential from prior instance. Received "Username or password is incorrect."

Went to old instance and entered same credentials, log in successful. Ideas?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Perhaps the salt was copied incorrectly, or the database data was not actually fully migrated?
Jackrabbit13

Post by Jackrabbit13 »

The restore script ended with Done. Makes me think it successfully completed.

It ended up being the salt. In the old ini file, there was a space on either side of the "=" sign. Like this: salt = ********

So I formatted that way when I put the salt in the new ini file. That was a mistake. I notice that if the ini file is opened after the initial time, it is transformed in some ways. The semicolon delimitation is negated and other changes happen to the file. I guess that is an anti-tamper feature?

I started over and just pasted the old salt value in place of the zero with no spaces between salt, the "=" sign and the salt value. Like this: salt=********

I was able to successfully log in with the new instance at that point.

I'm posting this for the benefit of others down the road.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Jackrabbit
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Spaces around the "=" shouldn't matter either way.

Code: Select all

salt=abc123
or

Code: Select all

sale = abc123
Are both the exact same as far as TimeTrex is concerned.