Unable to complete installation

Ask your questions regarding TimeTrex installation here.
ttrimble

Unable to complete installation

Post by ttrimble »

So far I have tried both the .deb and manual .zip install of Version 11.5.3 in Ubuntu 16.04.6 and 18.04.2 and Debian 8 and 10.0.0. I always end up with the same results. Install goes fine with no errors until I complete the configuration of the database, then I get an error that it can not connect to the database. The problem seems the same as this post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7821 but after trying the suggested fixes nothing changed. I would really appreciate some help.
mikeb

Re: Unable to complete installation

Post by mikeb »

Please enable debug logging as described in this FAQ, then try to connect again and attach a copy of the log file here, it should contain a more specific error message.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
ttrimble

Post by ttrimble »

I installed this server from .zip it is running:
Ubuntu 18.04.2
PostgreSQL v 10
This machine is running on Oracle VM VirtualBox Ver. 6
All other software was installed following the install directions.
I have attached the TimeTrex Log it was empty when I started the install
timetrex.log
(543.67 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Very strange, the error message is not actually a connection problem, but a SQL query failure:

Code: Select all

DBError(-1) Message: postgres8 error: [-1: ERROR:  operator class "int4_ops" does not accept data type uuid]
Unfortunately that isn't an error we have seen before, and we aren't able to replicate it on our end here.

Assuming this is a new installation, can you try deleting the TimeTrex database and going through the web-based installer again to see if the error persists?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Upon further investigation it appears this is actually a bug in PostgreSQL v9.4.23, v9.5.18, v9.6.14, v10.9 (version you are running) and v11.4. All of which were released on 20-Jun-2019 and the specific bug was introduced by the release note item: "Fix failure of ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN TYPE when the table has a partial exclusion constraint (Tom Lane)". The bug has already been fixed and is just waiting on the next release of PostgreSQL which is due out in early August 2019.

It only affects new installations of TimeTrex, or upgrades from TimeTrex versions prior to v11.0.0. We are looking at possible work-arounds from our end, but it may not be possible or practical due to the nature of the bug, and in either case will take some time to implement, test and release ourselves.

However installing an earlier point release of Ubuntu 18.04 or downgrading PostgreSQL to 10.8 or earlier would also allow the install to complete. Once the installation is completed you could upgrade to the latest point release and TimeTrex won't be affected anymore.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

We have posted a quick guide on how to work around the PostgreSQL bug that is affecting new TimeTrex installs here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7837