Permissions

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
fodde

Permissions

Post by fodde »

I've installed Timetrex on a Windows XP box with Apache2Triad installation of phph & mysql.

After reading the manual, I released that I do not have "full" admin rights. I'm using the only account that is created during setup (I've checjed in the mysql admin table of timetrex database's users table).

For example, I do not have access to the following :
Admin > Company > Station Admin
Admin > Company > Authorization Hierarchy
Policies
Administration > Employee Administration > Employee Functions > Permissions

I created a user and after logging on, the user's first directed page is a "Permission Denied" page. I suspect it is because I couldn't set the permissions on the users.

How do I get admin rights without re-installation?

Thanks
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Did you set the default permissions for employees? Administration > Company > Default Permissions.

If not and you have access to that page, set the default permissions to the Administrator preset. Then you should be able to login as any user (or create a new user) and give administrator permissions back to any other user you wish. You can then change the default permissions to a normal level such as "regular employee".
fodde

Post by fodde »

shaunw wrote:Did you set the default permissions for employees? Administration > Company > Default Permissions.
No, I don't have Administration > Company > Default Permissions. Under Company I only have Company Info, EMployee itle Admin, New Hire Defaults and Company Bank Info.
shaunw wrote:If not and you have access to that page, set the default permissions to the Administrator preset. Then you should be able to login as any user (or create a new user) and give administrator permissions back to any other user you wish. You can then change the default permissions to a normal level such as "regular employee".
I don't have access to that page. Where or how can I get access?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If this is a fresh installation and you don't have any important data in the database your best bet is to just delete the database and re-install then.
fodde

Post by fodde »

shaunw wrote:If this is a fresh installation and you don't have any important data in the database your best bet is to just delete the database and re-install then.
Are there another way of modifying my current installation's admin permission (maybe in the database)? Re-installation is not possible! I restored this installation from a backup because I could upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4, and also couldn't do a new installation. On installation (and upgrade), I just recieve a blank page (http://localhost/timetrex/interface/install/install.php), and was not able to fix it yet.

See post at http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?t=136
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

At this time there is no easy way to give a user administrator permissions without having them in the first place. TimeTrex has over 280 individual permission settings that must set for a employee to be deemed an "administrator", short of having a script to do this for you, its very difficult. Such a script is on our TODO list for the next version.

I'm very concerned about your installation though. When doing an upgrade you MUST run through the installer completely, you CANNOT do a fresh install of 1.4 then restore a 1.2 backup on top of it. That pretty much defeats the purpose of an upgrade and will surely break things down the road.

I highly recommend that you go back to TimeTrex v1.2 and restore your backup for that version, make sure everything is working as it should then run through the v1.4 installer so it can do a proper upgrade.

If you are getting a blank page during installation that obviously means something is not right and should be fixed. By skipping that you are simply delaying the inevitable. Its like driving down the road in your car and getting a flat tire. Instead of just pulling over and changing it right away, you keep driving and eventually your wheel falls off and you crash. Which is easier, to fix the tire as soon as it goes flat, or to fix the entire car when it crashes later on?
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
fodde

Post by fodde »

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to do the upgrade but I recieved a blank page even on the very first page (with other words, nothing of the upgrade was done). I then restored my 1.2 installation back to a working state, tried it again - same result: blank page.

I've tried a new installation on my second apache2triad-php test machine with exactly the same results. That's why I'm leaving the upgrade for now. But in the mean time, I have this permissions issue. But because of the installation blank page-issue, I was looking for a solution to the admin rights other than reinstallation for fear that it woun't install.

In the other post (installation forum blank page: step 1) I've posted my log files, which to me, looks fine.

If no script or easy way out, then I'll have to try and install again, maybe on another machine, to save this "working" one.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Is it possible for you to go to our website and initiate an online chat with our support department? If you can allow us to login to your machine remotely we should be able to diagnose why the blank page is occurring pretty quickly. Be sure to identify yourself from this forum and have them transfer you to me.
fodde

Online Chat

Post by fodde »

Sorry for this late reply. I was tied up in a project worskhop until now.

But I still need to fix this issue as electronic Time attendance is becoming an issue for us.

Unfortunately I cannot enterinto an online chat, thanks to our "Big Brother" IT :evil: . Login remotely will also not be possible. And then, there is the time diference (we're GMT +2).

Any suggestions?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

In that case a fresh install is the only thing I can suggest at this time. TimeTrex v1.5.0 is out now so maybe that will work better for you as well.
fodde

Fresh Install

Post by fodde »

Eventually I gave up and did the fresh install as suggested. Now, I can't get past the blank first page to begin the installation.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Please follow these instructions:

http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?t=89
fodde

Success

Post by fodde »

Thanks, I managed to re-install.

See this post

http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?p=910#910[/url]