Types of Holidays

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
lsanchez_gutierrez

Types of Holidays

Post by lsanchez_gutierrez »

I was setting up Holidays for Costa Rica and bumped into the type of Holidays TimeTrex has.

*The Special Day are simple.
*Static means every 10th of the month is a holiday?
*Week Interval means every Wednesday of the 2nd week for example is a holiday?
*How does Pivot Day work?

Here in CR there the law states that if the holiday is between a Tuesday and Friday it will be rollovered to the next Monday. How would you recommend I address that issue? Coding it or using the available options.

Thanks
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Pivot day works for holiday's described as:

the Monday before May 24th
the Friday after January 15th

So the holiday "pivots" from a specific day, in the above cases May 24th and January 15th.

Can you give me more details as far as a holiday that would be "rolled over"?

It sounds like this type of holiday would have to be added. You could of course always force the holiday to the Monday after a specific date (pivot day), but then if it actually lands on a Saturday, I assume that would be incorrect.

If my understanding is correct, I envision something like:

Type: Dynamic - Rollover
Day Of Month: X (ie: 15th)
Month: X (ie: May)
Between: <day of week, ie: Tues> and <day of week, ie: Fri>
Rollover Direction: Before/After
Rollover To: <day of week, ie: Mon>

Are these sorts of holidays ever not a specific date, ie: May 15th? Or are they sometimes the 2nd Monday in May? If that is the case I suppose we could add rollover functionality to all holiday types. Seems like overkill though.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
lsanchez_gutierrez

I reviewed your post and the TimeTrex functionality regarding Holidays.

Example: April 11th was Juan Santamaria Day, if is a Wed, so if it falls between a Tues-Fri it will be off untill the following Mon, in this case April 16th is off (No emails from us, jejeje)

TimeTrex only allows either Before or After with the Pivot Day, the problem is if April 11th falls a Mon (it should be off in CR), for example in 2009, then TT will move it to the Next Mon Before/After according to the option you select.

I think we need to add On-or-After and On-or-Before options for this case. This is CR law, but could apply to some of other countries.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

I think we need to add On-or-After and On-or-Before options for this case. This is CR law, but could apply to some of other countries.
I am unable to see how that would resolve this issue. Please describe in more detail, specifically in regards to the holiday not being rolled over if it lands on Sat, Sun, or Mon?
lsanchez_gutierrez

With regards to your concern, if it lands on a Sat or Sun it will be passed to the next Mon, everytime a holiday is in weekend it goes to the following Monday. If it lands on a Monday it will be that Monday off, there is no pivot.

I already coded this and could offer you a patch. There is also a bug in those options, it does not save the option you choose for the Pivot Day Direction, it always uses Before, even if you save it with After, the fix is in the template.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Patches are always welcome.

If you could send us a patch specifically for the bug fix (so we can include it in v1.6.4), and one for the new feature, that is ideal.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Here in CR there the law states that if the holiday is between a Tuesday and Friday it will be rollovered to the next Monday. How would you recommend I address that issue? Coding it or using the available options.
I see now, this was confusing me.

It isn't between Tues-Fri that the holiday is rolled over, its between Tues-Sun that it is rolled over to Monday.

Now it makes sense, and yes, this is much easier to handle.