No tax calulation for the first employee in Alphabetic Order

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
MickG01

No tax calulation for the first employee in Alphabetic Order

Post by MickG01 »

I initially thought this was the first employee I had entered, but today I added employee #3 whose last name is earlier in the Alphabet. And now it is she who has no Federal Income Tax calculated.

All other employees have their federal tax calculated correctly.

For this employee I have set up a spreadsheet to do the calculation and enter it as a pay stub amendment. Surely I can't be the only one to experience this.

I'm running Timetrex on Ubuntu Server 12.10 using the auto install and Postgres.
shaunw

Re: No tax calulation for the first employee in Alphabetic O

Post by shaunw »

What version of TimeTrex are you using?

Is the employee assigned to the proper Tax/Deductions, and has the proper marital status and allowances defined? Is he earning more than the minimum amount as well?
MickG01

Post by MickG01 »

I'm using TimeTrex 5.2.2 (I prefer the old Interface) on Ubuntu 12.10 Server being accessed using Firefox on Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop OR IE9 on Windows 7 I also get the same results accessing it from an Android Tablet using Dolphin Browser.

As I said:
My Alphabetically earliest employee had a last name starting 'Bo'. She was correctly entered: assigned to the proper Tax/Deductions, and has the proper marital status and allowances defined? I could work out her Tax on my spreadsheet and Online sites like Paycheck Manager and using manual calculations with the Tax Tables the IRS provide. So yes she earned enough. I have been running this business nearly 2 years and previously was Comptroller for a Construction company so I do have some basic understanding here. Earlier versions of TimeTrex didn't do this, all employee paychecks were correctly calculated.

Now. I add a new employee whose last name started 'Ba' so now her paystub will be the first to print. Suddenly the employee whose name starts 'Bo' has her Income Tax correctly calculated but the new employee also correctly entered has no Federal Income Tax calculated. Social Security and Medicare are correctly calculated and Florida has no State or Local Income Tax. But employer deductions for Unemployment Insurance Federal and State are correct.

As an extra I am and have been for more than 20 years, apart for my brief stint in construction, A Software Quality Assurance Engineer currently working on Business Process Control software used for administering Mortgage Delinquencies, Foreclosures, Loss Mitigation etc. so I think I have established I know what results the software should produce. I just want to know why the Alphabetically first employee gets no federal income tax calculated on the Pay stub Timetrex produces when there unquestionably should be, and whether there's a workaround for this.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

We're not aware of anything that would cause the first employee in a alphabetical sorted list to not have federal income tax deducted, nor have I ever heard of such an issue in the past either.

At this stage I would recommend upgrading to the latest version of TimeTrex (v7.0) and use the new interface to confirm your setup is correct and try generating the pay stubs again. The legacy interface is unsupported and really should not be used anymore.
MickG01

Post by MickG01 »

Thanks but with our few employees the legacy interface lets me easily enter, for each, "she worked 'x' hours this week" the new interface insists on Start time end time entries. This for employees that work 30+ hours a week is a royal pain. I'll stick to what I have until I locate something better or have time to improve my spreadsheet to handle pay stubs as well as the calculations.
MickG01

Post by MickG01 »

OK Year end I can rescue where I am.

I currently have Version 5.2.2 installed from the .bin file on an Ubuntu Server v12.04

I'm now prepared to upgrade but when I log in to pgsql it does NOT show a TimeTrex Database.

Questions How do I back up a database pgsql doesn't see?
Where are the tables for the timetrex install? I searched the /var/www/timetrex directories and it only showed install source files not active tables.
Can I safely upgrade from V5.2.2 to the latest version or must I go through v5.3 and 7.0 to do this correctly?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If you installed from the .bin file, then a self-contained version of PostgreSQL is installed in the same directory that TimeTrex is installed in. Normally you can just backup the entire TimeTrex directory, as it should contain the last weeks worth of .SQL dump files.

You can simply upgrade to the latest version of TimeTrex in one step.
MickG01

Post by MickG01 »

OK I have this install on Ubuntu Server 12.04
Upgrading it insists I install as a regular user and not roo then it complains it can't change permissions to 040775 in all directories.
What do I do to resolve this?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Make sure the files are owned by the non-root user you are using to upgrade TimeTrex with, so the files can actually be modified.