Handling re-hires and switch from part- to full-time

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
jjoelc

Handling re-hires and switch from part- to full-time

Post by jjoelc »

I was just wondering if you had any advice no handling re-hires, and employees moving from part- to full-time.

In the case of switching from part-time to full-time, our part-time employees don't (for example) earn vacation or sick pay. Once they become full-time employees, of course they do. All of those benefits are calculated from the date they became full-time employees, not from their hire date. Is there a way to keep their "old" records while setting their hire date to a new date? Can we just update the hire-date? My guess is that we can't, but short of printing a complete record of their part-time employment, then deleting and recreating the employee, I'm not sure how we should go about this. Re-hires would have many of the same issues, it seems, so I include that grouping in here for others that may be searching.

(I just started downloading v7, so forgive me if this is more obvious in the new version.)
shanec

Re: Handling re-hires and switch from part- to full-time

Post by shanec »

Length of service for accrual purposes is currently calculated based on the employee's hire date. You can change the employee's hire date to accommodate your requirements however that may cause unforeseen issues with other areas or policies. You could use the note or tag fields to record historical or other hire dates for the employees.
jjoelc

Re: Handling re-hires and switch from part- to full-time

Post by jjoelc »

I know when setting up an employee, TimeTrex will not allow you to enter any punches prior to the hire date entered for that employee. That is why I was guessing that it wouldn't allow me to change the hire date after the fact.

I will setup a test employee, add some punches, etc.. then try changing their hire date and see how it behaves. If you would like, I can post my results here.

Thanks!