TimeSheet Detail report not generating for 2 week daterange

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
joshsard

TimeSheet Detail report not generating for 2 week daterange

Post by joshsard »

Hi,

We currently use TimeTrex Community Edition version v9.0.2-20151106-050132
And we having problems when creating reports under TimeSheet Detail via Excel Export.
Please see screenshot below for the report settings:
report_tab.png
Display Columns:
First Name
Last Name
Date
First In Punch
Last Out Punch

Group By:
Last Name
First Name

Sort By:
Last Name
First Name

and the date range was july 1 to 15, roughly around 2 weeks

After some time while TimeTrex is creating the report, a pop-up error message shows:
error_msg.png
and then the TimeSheet report is not shown/generated.

However if the date range is less than 8 days, it generates an excel file.
Is it because of the huge amount of data? See below:
data.png
data.png (4.56 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
data2.png
data2.png (5.03 KiB) Viewed 7309 times
Is there any way to fix this error? I noticed that the number of rows in the excel is always 2385, that's the total number of employees. But the 1st number above (Retrieving Data) varies directly with the no of days between the start and end date.

We have already tweaked/upgraded the web and db server memory and its settings, but it still just doesn't work.
shaunw

Re: TimeSheet Detail report not generating for 2 week datera

Post by shaunw »

You may have the maximum memory settings or execution time in PHP set too low to generate large reports, or the load on your server is too high. What operating system do you have TimeTrex installed on?

BTW: You should really upgrade to the latest version of TimeTrex as well.
joshsard

Post by joshsard »

Hi,

It is installed in Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago).
Does the PHP you mentioned the one bundled with the TimeTrex installation? Anyway, how do I change these so-called settings:
-execution time
-maximum memory settings

Our admins have already increase the capacity of the installation server before, according to them, they use backend services of postgres 9.4 and apache which reside on /var/lib/pgsl/9.4/ and /etc/httpd/conf
We have these settings in Timetrex/postgresql/postgresql.conf:
shared_buffers = 256MB to 512MB
work_mem = 32MB (enabled)
maintenance_work_mem = 96MB(enabled)

Also, I tried to monitor the memory usage of the server (while running the export) which houses our installation, here's what I found:
top.png
It increases in virtual memory usage until it hits above 2k, then the error message pops up.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yeah, its most likely the maximum memory limit set in PHP then, you can find that setting in your php.ini file, where ever that is located on your system.
joshsard

Post by joshsard »

hi, thanks for the update

We had some progress by
1. Increasing the "Maximum Pages" value in the Setup tab
2. Unchecking "Include Blank Records" in the Report tab

Although what do these settings mean?

is there any way to increase the report size generated by timetrex?

Edit: no improvement happenned when we increased the php.ini settings below:
max_execution_time
memory_limit

we even doubled the value, but there is still an error
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The following FAQ explains how to enable debug logging in TimeTrex, which should help determine what the actual error is.
http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89

Also if you can provide us actual values that you used in your php.ini file it would be helpful. PHP by default has extremely low memory settings, so even doubling them likely won't make any difference when trying to generate a large report. Know the exact values that you are using would be much more helpful.
joshsard

Post by joshsard »

Hi,

Here are the current values of the php.ini:

max_execution_time=0 (means no limit)
memory_limit=4096M

Can we know what are use of these settings? It seems to affect the size/generation of the report
1. "Maximum Pages" value in the Setup tab
2. "Include Blank Records" in the Report tab

Thanks
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Maximum Pages is the maximum size (in pages) that the report can be. It would show the report to you in either case and the last page would display a big red message saying the report reached the maximum page limit. Since you aren't seeing a report at all, this setting is unlikely to make any difference unless you set it very low to restrict the maximum size of the report and prevent PHP from exceeding its own memory/execution time limits. You could use this for testing, if you set it to "1", does the report display? If so, set it to 5-10, does it still display? Viewing the TimeTrex log file is still the best troubleshooting option though, as it should tell you exactly whats happening without any guessing.

"Include Blank Records", will include employees or days that don't have any time on them. This basically just fills up your report with blank data telling you that the employee didn't work. For example if you have 100 employees and only 25 punched in/out, with this setting enabled it would show all 100 employees on the report. With it disabled it will only show the 25 employees that actually punched in/out.
joshsard

Post by joshsard »

Hi,

Is there a way to create a report with "Blank Records" only? :D

Thanks
joshsard

Post by joshsard »

Hi,

I would like to have an additional checkbox called "Include Blank Records Only" but I checked the codes in \classes\modules\report\TimesheetDetailReport.class.php and it seems complicated to root out which code I need to implement it. Can anyone please help me out? I kindly need your suggestions on this.

Thanks!