TimeTrex 9.1.3 Mac to PC Transfer

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
stephenmoore

TimeTrex 9.1.3 Mac to PC Transfer

Post by stephenmoore »

Hello,

I have Mac OS, and have 9.1.3 version of TimeTrex installed. I want to run the latest version, so I have a Windows 7 virtual machine to put the latest version on. I will be running the exe of TimeTrex. Please give me detailed steps in how I will transfer all of my information from the Mac server, over to the Win 10 virtual machine. I do not want to lose any data.

Thank you so much.
shaunw

Re: TimeTrex 9.1.3 Mac to PC Transfer

Post by shaunw »

Unfortunately we don't have specific instructions on migrating from OSX to Windows, but its not that different to migrating in general.

You can find more information under the topic "How do I migrate TimeTrex On-Site from one computer to another?" here:
https://help.timetrex.com/v10.0/communi ... lation.htm
stephenmoore

Post by stephenmoore »

shaunw wrote:Unfortunately we don't have specific instructions on migrating from OSX to Windows, but its not that different to migrating in general.

You can find more information under the topic "How do I migrate TimeTrex On-Site from one computer to another?" here:
https://help.timetrex.com/v10.0/communi ... lation.htm

Will there be any issues from going from Mac to PC? Also, from an older version to a new version.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

In most cases it shouldn't be a problem.
stephenmoore

Post by stephenmoore »

shaunw wrote:In most cases it shouldn't be a problem.
I followed the steps you included in a the previous link. It is still creating a completely new database after I transferred over my old database, and edited the SALT= in the ini.php file.. The steps listed below is how I followed it, and it just created a new database.

On the source computer (the one that currently has TimeTrex installed on it):

1. In the TimeTrex directory, execute backup_database.bat to dump the latest copy of your database to a .SQL file.

2. Rename the newest timetrex_database_<DATE>.sql file to timetrex_database.sql.

3. Copy timetrex_database.sql and timetrex.ini.php to a temporary directory on the destination computer, for example c:\temp

On the destination computer:

1. Edit the timetrex_database.sql and delete the first 97 lines, or everything from the top of the file to just above the first line that contains:

\connect timetrex

Make sure the above line still exists in the file.

2. Install a fresh copy of the latest version of TimeTrex, however pause on the final step of the installation procedure where it asks you to launch the web browser to complete the installation.

3. Go to your “Start” button and select the “Run” option, type in:

cmd

4. In the command prompt window, navigate to the TimeTrex directory:

cd c:\timetrex

5. Restore timetrex_database.sql to the new TimeTrex database with the following command:

restore_database.bat c:\temp\timetrex_database.sql

6. Edit c:\temp\timetrex.ini.php, and copy the line that starts with salt= to the new c:\timetrex\timetrex.ini.php

7. Copy the entire c:\timetrex\storage directory from the source computer to the same location on the destination computer.

8. Go back to the TimeTrex installer and complete the installation process, which will be referred to by the installer as an upgrade from now on.

9. Once the installation is complete, confirm that you can login to it with your existing username/password, then disable or uninstall TimeTrex from the source computer to prevent employees from accidentally accessing the wrong instance.

How do I correct this?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Its possible the database isn't being restored correctly due to the difference in versions between your two servers.

Are you receiving any output from the restore_database.bat command?