Adding to Timebank when on Vacation

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
parsonspr

Adding to Timebank when on Vacation

Post by parsonspr »

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a way to add to the Timebank if a staff member works on their Vacation day.

I've set a vacation day on a staff member and it's removed 7:30 hours from their allocated vacation allowance. However, if I test the system by adding some time in (assuming they were working from home or something like that), then it doesn't add that worked time to the Timebank - I'm assuming this is because there's nothing saying that the overtime policy changes to 0 hours on a vacation day. Is this possible?

thanks,
Phil
Attachments
timebank_vacation.png
timebank_vacation.png (174.2 KiB) Viewed 8536 times
mikeb

Re: Adding to Timebank when on Vacation

Post by mikeb »

Yes, you can create a "Holiday" type overtime policy that is active after 0 hours, which then links to a Pay Formula policy (either through a Pay Code or directly) that deposits the time to an accrual account.
TimeTrex Community Edition is developed and supported by volunteers.
Help motivate us to continue by showing your appreciation!
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Mike,

thanks for this.

Would I just put 'TimeBank (Deposit)' in the Pay Code?

What would I put in the the Contributing Shift Policy? Would I just put 'Regular Time'? I don't really understand the function of Contributing Shift Policy.

thanks again,
Phil
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Yes, that should work for you.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Thanks very much. Works like a dream :D
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Say that it's not quite correct :)

I've created an Overtime Policy which has pay code - timebank that's active after 00:00, but I'm still getting Time Bank (Withdrawal).
timebank_vacation_1.png
timebank_vacation_1.png (170.15 KiB) Viewed 8515 times
Should I be excluding something from my Schedule Policy for Undertime?
timebank_vacation_1.png
timebank_vacation_1.png (170.15 KiB) Viewed 8515 times
thanks once again!
Phil
Attachments
timebank_vacation_2.png
timebank_vacation_2.png (155.73 KiB) Viewed 8515 times
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

The timebank withdrawal seems to only be happening on days the employee worked, or was scheduled perhaps as part of a undertime absence? If you don't want to see those then the employees punch times must match their scheduled times, as to not trigger an undertime situation.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Hi Mike,

in this example I've set up a repeating schedule for that staff member, but for that week they have taken annual leave, so I've set it as vacation. Shouldn't the vacation override the scheduled shift?

I'm not concerned if employees match specific shift times in terms of clocking in and out. All I'm concerned about is recording their times compared to a set number of hours in that day. Is it possible to effectively set 7:30 for a day's shift and just ignore whether or not their punch times are near their scheduled times?

Especially in this example, they are on annual leave and if they chose to wish to work, I'd like it to be added to their timebank. They aren't really on a shift at all then!

thanks,
Phil
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

I'm not 100% sure I understand what your are actually trying to achieve, but what you just described doesn't sound like an undertime absence policy at all, so make sure that under Policy -> Scheduled Policies, that you do not have anything selected for Full or Partial Shift UnderTime Absence Policies. That should prevent the "TimeBank Withdrawal" from automatically appearing on any given day.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Hi Mike,

basically what'd I'd like to achieve is to have, for example: mon-fri 7.5hours per day assigned to an employee. Then if they work over that on a given day they accrue to the timebank, if they work under then they lose from the timebank. It doesn't matter when they arrive or leave as long as they do 7.5 hours per day. Also, then if they work on a weekend or on annual leave then they accrue time to the timebank.

I've tried to achieve this by creating a 9 - 16:30 shift and setting a schedule policy called undertime:
timebank01.png
timebank01.png (158.49 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
and then setting the start/stop window to 4 hours, so I should capture most people within +/- 4 hours of 9am and +/- 4 hours of 16:30.
timebank02.png
timebank02.png (155.67 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
I've set up the Hourly Employees Policy Group to include overtime:
timebank03.png
timebank03.png (167.14 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
I've set a vacation accrual policy, a statutory holiday and then the standard absence policies.
timebank04.png
timebank04.png (175.23 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
Here is my daily overtime policy:
timebank05.png
timebank05.png (146.91 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
I had it working almost right and then I tried to create a new shift pattern for a different employee. She works, for example, 7.5 hours a day on mondays, thursdays and fridays, but only 3.75 hours a day on tuesdays and wednesdays. Initially I had created a new policy group for her, but then thinking that a schedule policy would use the Hourly Employees policy group and I could just include and exclude additional policies from that, I created a schedule policy for her instead and included all the overtime policies in the policy group. I excluded daily >7.5hours overtime and included individual day's overtimes. I then modified the Undertime shedule policy for 7.5hour-a-day employees and excluded the mon/tues--fri overtime policies from that. When that didn't seem to work I tried to put everything back as it was (which you can see the current state from the screen grabs above) and instead went back to two different policy groups.

Unfortunately now, I've got employees on the 7.5hour a day schedule accruing timebank straight away (not just after 7.5hours) and also losing timebank to undertime (if they work under 7.5hours). Which you can see here on monday:
timebank06.png
timebank06.png (130.02 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
they are assigned to a shift:
timebank07.png
timebank07.png (145.29 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
I've tried recalculating, but this doesn't fix it.

I'm wondering if there is another issue with my setup too as I'm getting this warning occasionally:
timebank08.png
timebank08.png (169.35 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
but the employee is assigned to both a policy group and a pay period schedule:
timebank09.png
timebank09.png (174.37 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
I'm hoping that I've done something obviously wrong! I hope I'm making sense as to what I'm trying to achieve as well. Can you see why my overtime might not be being applied correctly?

thanks once again,
Phil
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

It seems as though you have created a lot of extra work and complexity for yourself. To achieve a bank time system that banks any time over an employees schedule on a daily basis and withdrawals time from the bank when they work less than their schedule requires about 3 policies in total.

1. One Overtime Policy of type Over Schedule (Daily)/No Schedule (Active After set to 0).
2. One Absence Policy that withdraws from the time bank.
3. One Schedule Policy, which links to the above absence policy in the required "Undertime" dropdown boxes.

Recurring Schedule Templates would then link to the Schedule Policy, and the Policy Group would link to the OverTime/Absence Policies to activate them all.

The result being that any time worked over the employees daily schedule time (regardless of what hours they start/end their shift) will be banked, and any time worked less than their daily schedule time will pull from their time bank.

However, keep in mind that even if the employee has 0hrs in their time bank, it will still withdrawal from their time bank even into the negative values, unless you manually change the Schedule Policy for specific shifts under Attendance -> Schedule to turn that off on a day-by-day basis.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Mike,

you are a genius :) thank you very much! That is much simpler and works like a dream.

There is only one remaining issue that I can see and that is when I add vacation time. Overtime is currently being added correctly for weekends and statutory leave (I have added easter friday and this works perfectly), however when I add an absence on someones timetable it still seems to be deducting 7:30 from their timebank.

I've tried adding a new holiday policy and setting it to mark as absent and applying this in various ways to the policy group and schedule policy etc - I thought that I'd even got it to match the statutory leave one and also add an overtime policy for 'holiday', but I don't seem to be able to get it quite right. Am I over complicating things again?

thanks,
Phil
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

parsonspr wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:52 am There is only one remaining issue that I can see and that is when I add vacation time. Overtime is currently being added correctly for weekends and statutory leave (I have added easter friday and this works perfectly), however when I add an absence on someones timetable it still seems to be deducting 7:30 from their timebank.

I've tried adding a new holiday policy and setting it to mark as absent and applying this in various ways to the policy group and schedule policy etc - I thought that I'd even got it to match the statutory leave one and also add an overtime policy for 'holiday', but I don't seem to be able to get it quite right. Am I over complicating things again?
Are you modifying the schedule under Attendance -> Schedule to show the absence, or just adding the absence through Attendance -> TimeSheet?

If you are just modifying the timesheet directly, then the schedule says the employee should be working, and they didn't punch in/out, so the undertime policy is triggered on that day. If you modify the schedule to show that the employee shouldn't be working at all on that day, it will flow through to the timesheet automatically and prevent the undertime policy from being triggered.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Spot on. Brilliant thanks!

I'm entirely sure of the purpose of adding absences on the timesheet is. Is there any way to just prevent adding absences onto the main timesheet altogether? I'd like it so that the user Regular Employee (Punch In/Out) has to request absence - which is currently working straight out of the box :) but I'd like Regular Employee (Manual Punch) to be able to add their own absences. Currently it seems that they can add them to the timesheet, but not the schedule. Would it just be a case of adding Schedule Add and Edit to that permission group? How could I remove adding absences to the timesheet? Remove the absence > Edit Own permission?

thanks so much for all your help.

Phil
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

parsonspr wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:21 am I'm entirely sure of the purpose of adding absences on the timesheet is. Is there any way to just prevent adding absences onto the main timesheet altogether? I'd like it so that the user Regular Employee (Punch In/Out) has to request absence - which is currently working straight out of the box :) but I'd like Regular Employee (Manual Punch) to be able to add their own absences. Currently it seems that they can add them to the timesheet, but not the schedule. Would it just be a case of adding Schedule Add and Edit to that permission group? How could I remove adding absences to the timesheet? Remove the absence > Edit Own permission?
Adding absences directly to the timesheet is used in cases where you don't schedule employees at all, or in cases where the schedule doesn't come into play for that absence.

It can also be used for partial or unplanned absences where the employee was originally scheduled to work 9A-5P, but only worked 9A-1P and went home sick. In those cases you might not adjust the schedule and instead just add 4hours of sick time directly to the timesheet. If you change the schedule in that case you would be losing information that shows what the employee was scheduled vs. what they actually worked, so adding the absence directly to the timesheet allows you to retain both pieces of information for historical records and reporting purposes.

As for the permissions, you can allow Schedule -> Add, and Schedule -> Edit Own permissions. If you allow "Schedule -> Edit" that implies they can edit all employees schedules.
parsonspr

Post by parsonspr »

Great, thanks very much!
Phil