Variable (not multiple, varying) pay rates

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
RickBoatright

Variable (not multiple, varying) pay rates

Post by RickBoatright »

There's a question coming here, but I need you to have enough background to understand what I'm asking. Please be patient.

We serve agencies that provide sheltered work for developmentally disabled adults.

Under a special Dept of Labor dispensation, those people can pay the severely disabled workers a special minimum pay commensurate with their level of productivity, even if it's less than the regular federal minimum wage.

Consider, for example an individual who is sufficiently disabled that they can stuff a flyer into an envelope ten times an hour. There's no way you can pay them the federal minimum wage, you have to work out what they should make based on their productivity.

That's what my time-and-attendance software does. It figures out, under the federal regs, which become VERY complex, what that disabled employee should make for his or her 20 hours in the workshop this week. Trust me that it's a non-trivial problem, but we've solved it.

(Please don't go off on me about abusing disabled workers, these people love working, work as hard as they can, and I am proud of what we do.)

So, I have punches for workers, and I have pay amounts for workers... I can export those into a data-set to be imported into TimeTrex, and when doing that for OTHER payroll programs I generally can do it one of two ways"
  • I can export punches along with the distinct pay rate for THAT PUNCH.
  • I can calculate an effective pay rate for the entire pay period... an effective hourly rate, and import the various punches so that each of them gets paid at the overall effective rate.
Finally, the question:
Using the import api, I can certainly import the punches.

The issue of course is that either each employee has a new and different pay rate every pay period if I calculate the average rate,
or
each employee has a different pay rate FOR EVERY PUNCH.

I do NOT want to do the latter.

Can I import pay rates for employees before importing punches?

Sorry this is so long, but I needed to explain what's going on.
shaunw

Re: Variable (not multiple, varying) pay rates

Post by shaunw »

RickBoatright wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:51 am Can I import pay rates for employees before importing punches?
Yes.