Will Timetrex work for my situation? (I'm a newbie)

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
rajeshv

Will Timetrex work for my situation? (I'm a newbie)

Post by rajeshv »

I tried searching for 'gpl php attendance system' and got lots of references to TimeTrex, so went ahead and downloaded it for a trial. Installation on my separate Linux box was pretty easy, since I went in with XAMPP to get the version problems sorted out. First impressions: the software looks great, and I'm getting quick response times on my posts here... I'm very impressed.

I'm a bit confused by the terminologies in vogue in TimeTrex, so I thought I'd find out if TimeTrex can suit my need:
My company is based in India, and while we have our own offices, we have large surplus lands in our premises, so we have lots of different companies operating in the same campus. Currently, the total strength would be about 3,000... could go up to 10,000 with all firms included.

So I guess my query is: Can this Free GPL version be customised to handle multiple companies, having multiple departments, multiple projects and multiple locations? In short, all 10,000 employees need to be classified under these 4 categories, and attendance policies must be specifiable (does that word exist? :) ) category-wise.

I'm willing to invest more time and money on this package, but I thought I should check out if this is feasible, beforehand. After attendance, we also need to customise it to Indian tax laws.. and our in-house time-management cum bug-tracking system; but the crucial first step would be attendance.

Thanks, and please keep up the good work!
Rajesh
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex basically has 4 ways to differentiate employees:

1. Company
.. 2. Branch
.. 3. Department
.. 4. Group

Company is a hard category, by that I mean you can add an unlimited number of companies to TimeTrex, and employees in each company can not see each other. Even administrators in one company can not see employees or make changes to another company... Well, besides one exception, you can define a super company that can see all companies, but there can only be one of these in the system.

For each company within TimeTrex, you can then define branches, departments, and employee groups. These are really just different ways to record data. You can define permissions so specific supervisors can only see specific employees, but that really has nothing to do with branches, departments or groups.

So in theory you could create one single company, add one branch for each firm in your building, then setup supervisors/administrators that can only see employees in their own firm. The problem with this is if firms want different policies, one central administrator has to set those up for them, because otherwise they would be able to see policies from all firms. Which could obviously be quite bad.

It really depends on what level of separation you are looking for between the firms/companies. If they are truly 100% separate entities, I would create a company for each of them, so they essentially have their own TimeTrex sandbox all to themselves.