PHP.INI settings

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
MichelleM

PHP.INI settings

Post by MichelleM »

I'm looking to conserve as much memory as I can on my poor little Ubuntu server. In PHP.INI I have set the maximum size of scripts at 32M (default is 8M). What does TimeTrex need that setting to be to work?

Anyone out there played with this setting?

Michelle
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

It depends on how many employees you have. That setting itself doesn't really save on memory, it just restricts how much memory PHP scripts can use.

Once a PHP script is done, keep in mind it usually free's all the memory it used.

If you're looking to save on memory I would look at restricting the number of Apache processes that are running at any given time, and reducing the number of PHP extensions loaded. As well as reducing the number of Apache modules if you can.

Really though, RAM is cheap, you can purchase 1GB for well under $100 (usually $50) and that will be more then enough. If you consider the amount of time it takes to reduce the memory usage of running applications its a bargain.
MichelleM

Wish I could...

Post by MichelleM »

I've got an older box that is already maxed out on RAM (512MB). However, with some other tuning (restricting apache processes to 5, removing unneeded modules, etc) and mysql optimization, we're cooking along nicely now... although it is unnerving to see your web app merrily on its way as you observe the free memory in "top" hover around the 5MB mark...

Michelle
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Remember that Linux will always utilize all available memory, if applications aren't using it, it caches the files that the applications commonly use to speed them up even further.

Its inefficient to have any memory free.

So you want to compare used memory with cached/buffer memory.