XAMPP (for windows) has InnoDB disabled by default in MySQL

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
quepasa

XAMPP (for windows) has InnoDB disabled by default in MySQL

Post by quepasa »

I've noticed some posts where it turns out the users having problems have their TimeTrex tables set up in MySQL as MyISAM instead of the preferred InnoDB.

I had this problem and it turns out that XAMPP (at least the windows version) had InnoDB disabled by default. Before being able to convert to InnoDB I had to enable it within the my.cnf file and restart MySQL.

The my.cnf file is located in the mysql\bin folder within the xampp install folder. You need to find the following:

Code: Select all

skip-innodb 
# Uncomment the following if you are using InnoDB tables 
#innodb_data_home_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
#innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend 
#innodb_log_group_home_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
#innodb_log_arch_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
You need to comment-out skip-innodb and uncomment the other relevant lines, so you end up with something like the following:

Code: Select all

# skip-innodb 
# Uncomment the following if you are using InnoDB tables 
innodb_data_home_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend 
innodb_log_group_home_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
innodb_log_arch_dir = C:/xampp/mysql/data/
Of course, your specific paths may be different than mine.

Anyway, it took me a while to figure out what was going on so I decided to post this in case it helps anyone else out. I have a feeling if I made the above changes before installing TimeTrex, all the tables would have been created as InnoDB to begin with.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Thanks for the detailed post, I'm sure it will help many people.

TimeTrex as of around v1.5/1.6 should detect InnoDB being disabled and not allow you to install on it. But that doesn't help people who installed on MyISAM prior to that version, so in the next TimeTrex release we will have the ability to convert all tables to InnoDB automatically.
quepasa

Post by quepasa »

TimeTrex as of around v1.5/1.6 should detect InnoDB being disabled and not allow you to install on it.
Are you sure about this? I just installed TimeTrex ver 2.0.0 last week with InnoDB disabled, and the installation went though without a peep.

By the way I was using XAMPP ver 1.6.1.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, we have tested it many times on our end and it works well here at least.

If you can disable InnoDB on your end and still get through the installer we would be very interested in figuring out why the installer isn't catching it and alerting you.
quepasa

Post by quepasa »

If you can disable InnoDB on your end and still get through the installer we would be very interested in figuring out why the installer isn't catching it and alerting you.
Just letting you know that I forgot to comment out the "skip-innodb" line in my.cnf and went through the installer without any errors. When I looked at the timetrex structure through phpMyAdmin all the tables had type MyISAM.

Installing TimeTrex 2.0.2 on Windows XP SP2 with XAMPP 1.6.3 (Apache 2.2.4 - MySQL 5.0.45 - PHP 5.2.3)