Accessing the Legacy Interface to Login?

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
outreachadmin

Accessing the Legacy Interface to Login?

Post by outreachadmin »

Once you log in, we need to link directly into the legacy interface to pull some reports that are missing in the Flex interface.

We also have a few computers that do not have Flash installed (and cannot for right now...)

If we are not yet logged into TimeTrex, and link directly to the "../interface/login_legacy.php" file, we're being redirected to "../interface/flex/". If flash is not installed on that PC, then they are getting the "install flash" error, and cannot log in.

Is there a way to enable access to "../interface/login_legacy.php" to get logged in (avoid the redirection when we're trying to log in...)???
outreachadmin

Re: Accessing the Legacy Interface to Login?

Post by outreachadmin »

I forgot to mention...
In timetrex.ini.php we have the following line commented out (per past install's requirements to use the legacy interface):

Code: Select all

[other]
; default_interface=flex
Should we uncomment this and set it to something different to default to the legacy interface?
outreachadmin

Post by outreachadmin »

Nevermind... Poking around in the code, I was able to find a reference to the following:

Code: Select all

$config_vars['other']['default_interface'])) == 'html'
I set that value in my timetrex.ini.php to "html" and now we're defaulting to the old login page.

Thanks!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Your installation of TimeTrex may still have some remnant files from the legacy interface, however attempting to use the legacy interface will almost certainly cause corruption of your data and/or fail at random times.

It is no longer supported and for the last year or more has not been updated to support new features and functionality, any data entered or viewed from the legacy interface cannot be trusted, use at your own risk.
outreachadmin

Post by outreachadmin »

Wow... I would have expected the upgrade process to remove (or at least move) past files that would break the system...

On the other hand, the Login_legacy.php file & index_legacy.php files are NEW files that came along with the install. The option to change the default_interface is there & functioning in your config file...

Those aren't remnants, those are files installed with the latest installer & features built-in (I just verified that by taking a look at the Modified date on those files... 2/13/2014).

Tell me the files installed by your latest installer aren't going to cause corruption of data...

I gotta say, these are the WORST kinds of surprises to run into with an upgrade.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

There are huge red warnings to switch to the new interface all over the legacy interface that popup constantly and have been for over a year, they are there for a reason of course and the warnings should be heeded.

TimeTrex is open source, its impossible for us to stop someone from trying really hard to corrupt their data and cause problems for themselves (even if every legacy interface file was completely removed, it would be trivial to copy them back from an older version), if large red annoying warnings popping up constantly don't do the trick, I don't think there is much we can do about it...
outreachadmin

Post by outreachadmin »

I see the warnings, but they simply state it "will be discontinued", not "will corrupt your data". Those are two VERY different statements & would have been heeded as such.
That's all I'm getting at.

I don't mean to "poke the bear", I'm just trying to figure out how to make things work as efficiently as possible here and some of these surprises caught me off guard.

Thank you for your assistance in understanding where things are going.