Verify location of computer used to punch in.

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
DCPrint

Verify location of computer used to punch in.

Post by DCPrint »

Is it possible to tell from where a user logs into TimeTrex(ondemand2001.timetrex.com)? I've had someone say that there is no way somebody could have punched in at 4am, because the person wasn't here when the manager stopped in at 5am. Didn't know if there was a way to limit where somebody could punch in from.
DCPrint

Re: Verify location of computer used to punch in.

Post by DCPrint »

Really just want to know if I can tell that a person punches in on premise(computers in the network) or if they punched in when they were still on the way to work via a smart phone?
Cynjut

Post by Cynjut »

I've been looking at the punch API for the past few days, so I feel like the possibility is there, but it depends on a lot of variables. If you are using an actual Android or iPhone app, you should be able to get the latitude and longitude of the appliance, assuming the phone is configured to provide GPS information and the app is configured to send that to the server.

If they are coming in through a PC to the web service, I doubt it. I don't see anything in the data that looks like a source IP address. Now, having said that, if you had access to the logs on the TimeTrex server, you could check the access log to see where the packets originated and get an IP address, which MAY help you narrow down the location of the machine.

Short of that, I don't think you're going to get the level of satisfaction you're hoping to get.
shanec

Post by shanec »

From the TimeSheet View click an existing punch and then click the Edit icon. Look at the bottom of the inset page that appears which will indicate the Station that the punch was made from.