Updating TimeTrex and Tax Tables

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
josephrussell

Updating TimeTrex and Tax Tables

Post by josephrussell »

As the end of the year approaches I'm wondering how TimeTrex goes about updating tax tables? We installed TimeTrex a couple months ago and we're located in Bellingham, WA. TimeTrex is on an internal network with internet only when we enable it. Please let me know what needs to be done to know that TimeTrex is calculating tax withholdings correctly.

Thanks!
Joe
shaunw

Re: Updating TimeTrex and Tax Tables

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex automatically updates itself, but if it doesn't have internet access it won't be able to. Therefore you will need to manually update it by downloading the latest version and installing it overtop of your existing version (the installer will perform an upgrade in that case).
josephrussell

Post by josephrussell »

Is there anyway for me to manually initiate the update after I enable internet access? If not (on an annual basis) when should I go about updating TimeTrex to load in next years tax tables and how do I verify they're good to go?

Joe
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

We recommend that you give TimeTrex access to the internet, as several other functions are based on it as well. Depending on your area, tax tables can be updated more than once a year, or at seemingly random times (ie: middle of August), so if you don't have auto updates enabled you may not get them in time.

You can check the tax table dates under Help -> About, where it says "Tax Data Version", that is a YYYYMMDD format, so the more recent it is the better. The only way to know you are using the latest tax tables though is to make sure you are running the very latest version of TimeTrex.
josephrussell

Post by josephrussell »

Thank you for your reply, that's the info I was looking for. Connecting to the internet isn't really an option at this point in time. The other owners of the business aren't comfortable with this and since there is network security employee its probably safer that our main server that runs everything including POS software to remain off the net.

We will manually check the site for updates and upgrade when we see them just as long as the install doesn't overwrite the DB.

Thanks!

Joe