Accessing TimeTrex Remotely

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
allen911

Accessing TimeTrex Remotely

Post by allen911 »

I am setting up TimeTrex for a small office. There are a dozen employees
and 2 of us have admin privileges. I downloaded the on-site version and
installed it on-site on one computer on our network. I can access the software
on another computer in the building on the same network using the
instructions here: http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.php?t=1208

Now, as one of the 2 administrators, I want to be able to log in
remotely from anywhere (like at home), to monitor and maintain things,
but don't want the lower permission level employes to be able to do so
(can't have them logging in and changing their punch-in time remotely).
Do I need to use cloud hosted version to be able to do this?

Thanks for your reply.
shaunw

Re: Accessing TimeTrex Remotely

Post by shaunw »

If you are not familiar with setting up publicly accessible web servers, domain names, SSL certifications, etc... We would recommend that you consider the Cloud hosted deployment of TimeTrex instead.
allen911

Post by allen911 »

shaunw wrote:If you are not familiar with setting up publicly accessible web servers, domain names, SSL certifications, etc... We would recommend that you consider the Cloud hosted deployment of TimeTrex instead.

I do have some familiarity with that, but it's been a while. Can you provide an overview on doing that?

Thanks
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

That depends on your how your internet connection is setup, your server that TimeTrex is installed on, what domain name you want to use, if you want to use encryption (SSL) or not, etc... That is all outside the scope of TimeTrex and inside the scope of a systems administrator job description, therefore its not something we can really help you with.

Hence the reason we recommend considering the cloud hosted option of TimeTrex if you want to have remote access to your TimeTrex instance and are not familiar with setting that all up yourself.
allen911

Post by allen911 »

Hence the reason we recommend considering the cloud hosted option of TimeTrex if you want to have remote access to your TimeTrex instance and are not familiar with setting that all up yourself.[/quote]

OK, I will look at that option.
I have this question: In the case that somehow the regular employees figure out that the software is cloud based, I want to prevent them from logging in remotely and making changes to their punch-in time, and other data entries. It would be alright if the regular employees logged in to view their time worked info, vacation time, sick time etc., but not to alter critical data that is entered on site. Is this a simple matter to accomplish?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

By default regular employees can't modify their punches.

You can also restrict where employees can punch in/out from as described here:
https://help.timetrex.com/index.php?tit ... 0#Stations