Upgrade consistency checks

Topics brought up by the TimeTrex open source community.
royalpublishing

Upgrade consistency checks

Post by royalpublishing »

Does Timetrex check for and flag any non-core files during the upgrade process or does it only throw up a red flag if any of the core files have been modified?
shaunw

Re: Upgrade consistency checks

Post by shaunw »

I'm not sure I understand your question... Are you running into any specific problem or error message?
royalpublishing

No, no specific error message or anything. I kind of have a multi-tiered question where the second question and/or questions depend on what the answer is to the first one, but I was going to try and make it two separate threads so it wasn't so confusing. I failed at that lol.

If I were to write a custom report using the various report API's and all that, is there a location or directory where I can place said report files that won't throw up a red flag during the software upgrade process and prevent future upgrades? I know from experience that TT checks for modified core files, but does it also check for any files that are outside the normal core files or does it just ignore them? Hopefully that makes sense.

A similar question with a slightly different approach would be, is there a way for me to hook into the reports programmatically to customize them without actually modifying the core files so it doesn't break future upgrades?
royalpublishing

After going over some of my old posts where I was trying to create a plugin for something else back in the day, I think I somewhat answered my own question on how I would go about customizing reports. It sounds like I would just need to write a plugin to do so. I just needed a refresher on the hierarchy of TT's file structure I guess. It would be absolutely amazing if you were able to hook into various parts of functions (the way you can on WordPress), so you didn't have to rewrite an entire module and then check/update the core code to the plugin every time there was a software update.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

TimeTrex requires that any file within its own directory is at least readable/writable by it. So adding additional files is not a problem as long as they meet that requirement. However for non-plugin related files we would recommend putting them outside the TimeTrex directory if at all possible.

As for the plugin system, it allows you to modify pretty much any individual function in TimeTrex by simply overloading it. You can think of this as "pre/post" hooks for every function in the entire system.

In regards to customizing the reports, you haven't provided any real details as to what you actually want to achieve, so its extremely difficult to give you anything other than vague answers. There may be a much easier way to achieve your goal, but without the specifics you are severely limiting how useful we can be to you.
royalpublishing

My apologies shaunw, I wasn't intentionally trying to be vague. As I mentioned before, I was trying to keep the post on topic. I will upload some pictures and provide further details of the reports I'm trying to mimic, but basically the custom report I need will just combine information that is already pulled from both the timesheet summary and timesheet detail reports and put them on one page.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I'm not sure there is any data that the TimeSheet Summary report shows that the TimeSheet Detail report won't...