Shift Swaping

Use this forum to discuss desired new features for TimeTrex
StoneBrooks

Shift Swaping

Post by StoneBrooks »

Definition:
Shift swapping would allow employees to trade shifts where John Doe would work Jane Doe's shift, and Jane Doe would work John Doe's shift.

Background:
We don't give unpaid time off in order to encourage our employees to consistently show up for work. We do have quite a bit of sick and vacation time to use when they are sick or on vacation. But this doesn't account for times when they need to go to an appointment that must fall on their regularly scheduled shift.
Rather than having the manager constantly asking everyone to cover shifts, we require the employees who would like the time off to ask their fellow coworkers to switch shifts with them.

Example:
1. John Doe gets a severe tooth ache and needs to go to the dentist tomorrow.
2. John then goes to his schedule and clicks on his shift tomorrow and then clicks the swap button.
3. A list of employees who are able to cover his shift are then listed with their telephone numbers and a check box next to each name.
4. If John Doe had a bit more time, he could select each name of the fellow coworkers who are available and capable of swapping his shift, and send a message to each conveying his request.
5. John has already talked with Jane who has agreed to exchange shifts. So he only sends the request to Jane.
6. Jane logs in and opens the message from John, and clicks accept.
7. A list of shifts that John can fulfill opens and Jane selects a shift she would like to give to John.
8. John then logs in and accepts the new shift.
9. The schedule is then updated with each employee shown as scheduled for their exchanged shifts.
10. The administrator/manager is then notified of the change in their message inbox.

I know that there are items higher on the priority list right now. But I thought that I would record this idea to file away and maybe revisited in a few years.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

This feature will definitely be available much sooner then in a few years. We are planning to greatly improve the scheduling module within TimeTrex in the near future and shift swapping (among many other) is already on that list.

You could see it as early as the end of the summer.
mistermudd

Post by mistermudd »

This, along with need based scheduling would make this app absolutely perfect.
jreade

Post by jreade »

I agree with mistermudd. So has this feature been implemented yet?