Security Groups

Use this forum to discuss desired new features for TimeTrex
quepasa

Security Groups

Post by quepasa »

I would like something that works like Windows' Security Groups. The idea is that you assign permissions to Groups and then assign users to Groups. Instead of changing permissions for each user, you change the permissions for a Group, and that change would "propagate" to every user within that Group automatically.

At the moment if I want to change a permission for all supervisors, I have to go to every supervisor and make the change manually. Then when a new user needs supervisor rights, I have to Apply the Supervisor Permission Preset to them, and then remember what manual changes I need to make so that they have the same permissions as the other supervisors.

There is also no easy way to determine a user's overall level of access, not to mention how difficult it is to realize that a user has been given supervisor or admin rights accidentally. You could easily spot such a mistake if you had Security Groups and in the Employee Administration page you had a column showing what Security Group the employee was assigned to.

Hope this makes sense,

-Ben
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

With the current version of TimeTrex you can actually click "Permissions" beside an employee that currently has supervisor permissions for instance, then select multiple additional employees at the bottom, and submit the form to apply those same permissions to all selected employees.

Regardless, TimeTrex v2.1 will have Permission Groups exactly how you described them, and we expect to release it within 1-2weeks.
quepasa

Post by quepasa »