Wage rate tied to job class

Use this forum to discuss desired new features for TimeTrex
blabj

Wage rate tied to job class

Post by blabj »

So far I'm quite impressed with TimeTrex - I've long been searching for a quality open-source time and attendance system.. and this looks to be it!

The one disappointment I have is that wage rates are tied to employees instead of to some type of job classification. For example, we have a wage rate for general labourers, and could have 10-20 of them.. establishing the wage rate by individual employee is a pain.

Also, we have employees that can do different jobs at different wage rates.. using "departments" and "flat rate" premium policies I've been able to simulate this - but it undermines the semantics behind departments. IE. I still would like to track departments, but I have to use departments to track job classes instead.

The idea that everyone working in a certain department would carry the same "flat rate" premium is not too realistic in my experience.

A wage rate system tied to job classification would be ideal.

BJ.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I would recommend our TimeTrex Professional Edition, as it allows you to define actual jobs/tasks separate from branches/departments and also define premium policies based on time worked on those jobs/tasks.

If I understand you correctly it should meet all your criteria.

We will be improving the wage system in the near future though to support multiple wage classes, and probably a wage "template" system too. The idea being that you can define several different wage rates for each employee, ie: Regular wage, Painting wage, Sanding wage, then with Premium Policies tell TimeTrex to pay employees their "Painting Wage" for the "Painting" job. So it makes it much easier to manage many different wage classes between many different employees.

The wage template system will take this one step further and allow you to create a template wage and then simply define that employee A's wage is based off Template A. So you can change an entire class of wages from a single place if setup correctly. Large union based companies often ask us for this feature as their wages are usually all pre-defined and set in stone.
blabj

Post by blabj »

Thanks Shaun, that wage template system sounds exactly like what we need.. we are a union based shop - though not large.

Only problem with the Professional Edition and job costing, is that it has way too many features than I need.. if the job costing was in the business edition, it would be a no brainer.

I'll use the department/premium policy workaround for now.

BJ.