Seeking Database Information

Discussion for TimeTrex open source community developers.
cygnarite

Seeking Database Information

Post by cygnarite »

Good afternoon. I am looking to access the Timetrex database tables, in an effort to combine and compare the timeclock information from Timetrex with an in house timeclock system I am currently working on. We're using PostgreSQL for the Timetrex database. I have thus far been unable to find any sort of database diagrams, or any information on when/how timetrex stores user punches. I need to be able to access their hours on a day to day basis. The tables I've looked at so far dont appear to contain meaningful data. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
If there is any other information you may need to answer this question, please let me know.
Thank you in advance.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

There are no database diagrams available to the public at this time. All other information can be found by reading the source code.

If you have a specific question we are happy to help.
cygnarite

Post by cygnarite »

Thank you for the information.
Basically, I'm looking to gather each users hours on a daily basis. I'm having trouble even figuring out what tables/processes contribute to the calculation of an employee's hours.
Is there a single database where the final, processed hours can be accessed on a day by day and employee ID basis? If not, can anyone give me an idea on what processes/Databases I should start my search in?
Thank you Again.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

There is no place where you can easily get what you are looking for, you have to remember that TimeTrex is much more advanced then just a basic time calculator, there are a lot of things that go on in the background.

Your best bet is to find a report that gives you what you want, and either export it (recommended), or look at the source code to try and replicate its functionality.
cygnarite

Post by cygnarite »

Thank you again for the information.
From what you're saying, I'm gathering that I've got this all wrong. I assumed that timetrex gathered info in various tables, ran some automated procedures using SQL to make sense of the data, then stored it in another table or database for reporting purposes.
From what you're saying, it sounds like the tables in the databases are just for storing data and flags, and the code itself does all the data manipulation. I didnt perform the installation for timetrex myself, any idea where I could start looking at the source code so I can make sense of whats going on?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, you would be best to start by looking at the source code of a report that currently outputs the data closest to what you want.