Database export modules

Discussion for TimeTrex open source community developers.
OneSeventeen

Database export modules

Post by OneSeventeen »

Is it possible to write a custom module to export to an existing payroll system?

We use Sage Software's MIP Fund Accounting, and would like to tie in to the existing staff database.

I'm used to PHP, and am able to access our MIP databases via PHP.

How hard would this be?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Yes, it is definitely possible. It shouldn't be that difficult to do either, but you haven't provided much detail to base that decision on.
OneSeventeen

Post by OneSeventeen »

Agreed, I haven't provided much information yet, I primarily wanted to see if it was possible first before tackling the issue.

I think I might have to play with the software for a while to see what type of data it is going to export, and I'll look at the MIP database tables to see what it needs in order to take advantage of a digital timeclock.

If I am able to do this, is there a standard you guys follow? I'd like to submit the code so other people who use MIP can use this software easily in the future.

I'll start learning more about the two systems then post back when I have questions.

Thanks!
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

If you are looking to submit the code back to us, I would recommend familiarizing yourself with the TimeTrex codebase first, then writing a detailed design proposal to this forum so our developers can give you their feedback before you start coding anything.

This should hopefully prevent you from going down the wrong path as that is the primary reason we reject outside code submissions.
OneSeventeen

Post by OneSeventeen »

Awesome tip! Thanks.

Another idea for the TimeTrex project would be maybe a discount on per-user licenses or perhaps a hardware discount for code submissions that are accepted.

Primarily because if my code is any good, it would be nice to cut the price for my employer as we are a not-for-profit.

Secondarily because it would encourage more companies to have their developers help out on the project and submit modules that would entice other companies to switch to TimeTrex.

But mainly because I like discounts :)
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

We do this quiet often actually, however there are no guarantees and we handle it on a case by case basis, it all depends on how significant the contribution is of course.