Duplicate Schedule

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
Nox

Duplicate Schedule

Post by Nox »

It appears that someone entered a schedule for an employee incorrectly and the system scheduled them twice on the same day (overlapping shifts). So the employee clocks in and out based on the correct schedule, but at the end of the day, timetrex shows them having worked their normal 6.5 hours, but it also shows that they did not work 8 hours - which is the exact amount of time the other shift is for. So it shows worked 6.5 hours and absent 8 hours. Now, we have fixed the schedule problem and we can go in and adjust the unpaid time off on the timesheet to reflect what is correct, but is that the correct way to fix this?
shaunw

Re: Duplicate Schedule

Post by shaunw »

What version of TimeTrex are you using? Do you know how the overlapping shifts were created, because TimeTrex really shouldn't allow that to happen.
Nox

Post by Nox »

I thought that might be the case. :)

I am using a really old version of timetrex (1.6) and I have some ideas as to how the problem was created. I will attempt to duplicate the problem and have plans to upgrade anyway, so if I can duplicate the problem I can also see if the problem still exists in the newest version.

*what I think happened*

I think that a person had a schedule in timetrex with an effective date of Dec 12, 2010 and no end date. They started a new shift effective Sunday Feb 6th but the manager forgot to update timetrex. On Feb 9th, the manager created the new schedule template, and instead of deleting the existing recurring schedule assigned to that user, they modified that recurring schedule, changed the template assigned and changed the effective date to Feb 6, 2011 and saved it. On Feb 11th the manager noticed that the person was showing the employee having worked 7:00hrs but also having been absent for 7:30hrs on the same day. When you look at the employee's schedule at a glance, you can see the old schedule shows up right beside the new schedule.

Since the absence is being controlled by the duplicate schedules, I cannot delete it from the employee's timesheet, I can only override it to zero. I suppose I could modify the database directly and remove one schedule or the other, but I avoid doing that whenever possible. It does not affect how the employee was paid, but it would show up in an unpaid time off report as if the employee was scheduled to work, but did not.

So, if I get time this week, I will see if I can reproduce the problem. Since I am already considering upgrading timetrex, I will test there as well.

Please let me know if my solution (modify the time off to zero) was the correct solution given this scenario. Also let me know if there is any additional information you need from me or things you want me to verify.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

Can you not delete the duplicate scheduled shift from the employee? That should in theory correct the absence entry on the timesheet as well.

You REALLY need to upgrade to the latest version of TimeTrex ASAP, v1.6 is probably over 3yrs old and hasn't been supported for about 2 of those years. If you wait much longer there may not be any upgrade path for you at all.