Importing users automatically

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
MustQ

Importing users automatically

Post by MustQ »

Hello,

Figured I'd follow the prescribed method of asking for help, and I'll include logs if deemed necessary but this is more of a question than anything else.

1. Clearly state what is happening, or what isn't happening that you feel should. If there are any error messages include the FULL EXACT error message.

I have successfully managed to have TimeTrex authenticate to my active directory. However the user account must exist on TimeTrex before I can login using active directory credentials. I would like to import / have accounts automatically generated upon login to TimeTrex with AD credentials. Is this possible?

3. What version of TimeTrex you are running, specifically.

4. What operating system and version you are running.
Ubuntu Linux 12.04

5. How did you install TimeTrex, using the automated executable installer, or the manual .ZIP file?\
Manual zip file

If you used the manual .ZIP file to install TimeTrex, or are asked to provide debug information, please also include the following information:

1. What version of PHP you are using.
PHP5

2. What database and version you are using.
Postgresql 9

3. What web server you are using.
Apache2
shaunw

Re: Importing users automatically

Post by shaunw »

Its possible, but TimeTrex does not support this out of the box, you would need to write a plugin to do it for you.

Active Directory typically doesn't store a lot of information that TimeTrex requires to operate (pay period schedule, policy group, currency, hierarchy, etc...) so such a system will almost certainly require manual intervention still.
MustQ

Post by MustQ »

thank you for your prompt reply. Do you know of a good site of people who have plugins for this purpose? I realize that the information in AD won't be useful so much for Time Trex itself and that "user intervention will be required" anyway... but there are good reasons to have it done this anyway:

- It removes the administrative level of having to create the account yourself, true you must edit the account details after it's created anyway... but a full blown administrator (like me) isn't needed to do that. Accounting / payroll can do that.

- I'd rather not have our accounting / payroll department responsible for creating or removing accounts, just to have them edit it is sufficient.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

We have done some custom development for customers in the past to implement similar functionality, but I'm not aware of anything publicly available. Its not something we recommend as it also introduces security issues that are not trivial to work around.