Disable automatic upgrade

General support regarding TimeTrex, such as
configuring policies/taxes or processing payroll.
fr4nkie

Disable automatic upgrade

Post by fr4nkie »

Hi,

I notice today while processing payroll that our system had automatically upgraded. I wish to disable this setting, but don't see anything in My Account > Preferences. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
shanec

Re: Disable automatic upgrade

Post by shanec »

We highly recommend against disabling it especially when processing payroll. If you would still like to disable the automatic upgrade feature please see this post: http://forums.timetrex.com/viewtopic.ph ... ade#p19636
fr4nkie

Post by fr4nkie »

Understood, but I like to make an emergency backup prior to upgrading just in case. Also, wouldn't the auto upgrade overwrite any code customizations without prior notice? There is potential for major headaches if so.
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

The auto-upgrade runs after the database is dumped (assuming the script to do that is available of course), so even if something were to go wrong you should have a very recent backup of the data.

As for code customization, as long as you use the plugin system then upgrades shouldn't have any negative impact since the plugins wouldn't be touched. If you make modifications outside of the plugin system then you should likely reconsider them and figure out how to get them inside the plugin system instead. If that is not possible then your modifications would trigger a checksum error preventing the auto upgrade from running, however it would still be recommended that you disable the auto upgrade feature to prevent wasting such resources on your server.

Either way the auto upgrade functionality is designed to be as safe as possible, it runs a full check to make sure your existing version meets all system requirements and that no sourcecode files were modified, if that passes, it downloads the latest version and runs the same check using the latest version, if both checks pass, only then is the upgrade performed.
fr4nkie

Post by fr4nkie »

Thanks for the reply Shaun. Makes me feel a little more comfortable about letting the auto upgrade do its thing. Couple questions:

1) What directory does the database dump to? (LAMP server)

2) Is there any way to setup an email notification to alert when the system has been upgraded?
shaunw

Post by shaunw »

I assume you used the manual installer, if that is the case then the database is not automatically dumped unless you create a "backup_database" script and place it in one directory higher than your top-level TimeTrex directory and have it dump the database into the same directory so it can make sure only seven (1 week) worth of copies are ever stored at a time. For example if TimeTrex is installed in /var/www/timetrex, the script would need to go in /var/www.

As for the email, that functionality is currently not available, however when you login to TimeTrex for the first time after any "major" version upgrade you are notified automatically and directed to a list of changes, minor versions it does not notify you at all.